Should the H1N1 flu vaccine be mandatory for all health care workers?

VentMedic

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the H1N1 vaccine be mandatory?

• Yes for all and everyone
    • Yes for health care workers
    • No

Papers please ???? I am all ears .

Straight from the CDC website (basic flu prevention methods):

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

*Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.

*Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

*If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) Keep away from others as much as possible to keep from making others sick.

*Be prepared in case you get sick and need to stay home for a week or so; a supply of over-the-counter medicines, alcohol-based hand rubs * (for when soap and water are not available), tissues and other related items could help you to avoid the need to make trips out in public while you are sick and contagious.

There were many students at my school who had H1N1 and by taking these measures I was able to avoid getting sick.

• Like 1

Straight from the CDC website (basic flu prevention methods):

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

*Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.

*Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

*If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) Keep away from others as much as possible to keep from making others sick.

*Be prepared in case you get sick and need to stay home for a week or so; a supply of over-the-counter medicines, alcohol-based hand rubs * (for when soap and water are not available), tissues and other related items could help you to avoid the need to make trips out in public while you are sick and contagious.

Excellent advice. Unfortunately not every one else around you will follow the same advice. This especially applies to patients and kids. Thus, that is were the vaccine might be needed for those with high exposure risks.

There were many students at my school who had H1N1 and by taking these measures I was able to avoid getting sick.

Don't speak too soon. The flu season is no where near being over.

• Like 2

Well I still have not voted in the poll, I just got back from receiving both vaccines and as a First Responder it only took a week of phoning and raising cane (although I highly suspect after 14 days of feeling like I was hit by a Logging Truck, onset of symptoms on the Oct 19 I have already had H1N1)

Well WHO website mapping/reporting and out breaks makes it highly likely that my brother returning from the middle east gave me a lovely present/virus.

But because titers are "not" available I have "to be safe" have received both shots. I am now doing a comparative study my Right arm reaction (seasonal) vs Left arm reaction H1N1 ... OH and Tylenol if I have a fever, Ibuprofen not advised as it is anti - inflammatory and may interfere with immune response.

Now as I was waiting (not in uniform) I watched one MD see 3 patients and did not wash HIS hands, and the RN giving me the vaccine was not wearing gloves nor a mask, wierd eh ?

I will report back if I die, get ill, develop a bump, or go on to develop GB or autism.

cheers

In my honest opinion it should be up to each individual but heres food for thought.

In Ireland only in the last 2 weeks have the vacinations been administered firstly to the high risk groups secondly to frontline staff ie. Paramedics Firefighters Nurses Gardi, now they are moving onto school children.

We must remember that only now are the true figures being released to the public because the vacine is available.

Most of all you must remember "look after number1",and your families. :innocent:

• Like 1

In my honest opinion it should be up to each individual but heres food for thought.

In Ireland only in the last 2 weeks have the vacinations been administered firstly to the high risk groups secondly to frontline staff ie. Paramedics Firefighters Nurses Gardi, now they are moving onto school children.

We must remember that only now are the true figures being released to the public because the vacine is available.

Most of all you must remember "look after number1",and your families. :innocent:

Agreed sounds like Ireland has learned from some of the other Gong shows.

Have you been following all the other related topics posted ?

Most of all you must remember "look after number1",and your families.

As promised I report in with my Flu shot,it appears that I am alive and kicking, no adverse reactions other than typical very minor soreness equal left vs right arms.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Agreed sounds like Ireland has learned from some of the other Gong shows.

Have you been following all the other related topics posted ?

As promised I report in with my Flu shot,it appears that I am alive and kicking, no adverse reactions other than typical very minor soreness equal left vs right arms.

cheers

Yeah I have been looking through the forum it seems no matter where you are in the world its the same job with the same calls just a different environment.

We have our own Emergency services here My link you should log on its not as big a site as EMTCITY but we are a small country.

:thumbsup:

Lucky ... I ended up with pretty much all adverse reactions ... still, better than the any flu I've ever had.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.