Should the H1N1 flu vaccine be mandatory for all health care workers?

VentMedic

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the H1N1 vaccine be mandatory?

• Yes for all and everyone
    • Yes for health care workers
    • No

Richard B. recently posted this topic.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16362-h1n1-update-from-new-york-state/page__hl__H1N1__fromsearch__1

This subject is now a heated discussion on many other forums for many other health care professions.

NY has made it mandatory and there is now big controversey in that state amongst the health care workers.

Health Care Workers Protest Mandatory H1N1 Vaccination

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/29/taking_liberties/entry5349581.shtml

September 29, 2009 11:28 AM

Health care workers are planning to take to the streets Tuesday at a rally in front of the Albany, N.Y. state capitol to protest mandatory vaccination.

The rally is intended to call for "freedom of choice in vaccination and health care" and to protest mandatory vaccination for influenza and the H1N1 swine flu. "This vaccine has not been clinically tested to the same degree as the regular flu vaccine," Tara Accavallo, a registered nurse on Long Island, told Newsday. "If something happens to me, if I get seriously injured from this vaccine, who's going to help me?"

While physicians, nurses, and medical technicians may not be known for their willingness to march on state capitols, a recent New York Department of Health requirement has sparked an unusually intense response. The August 13 regulations say that all health care workers who "could potentially expose patients" must be vaccinated for influenza by November 30 unless it would be "detrimental" to the recipient's health. (Any reprieve would be temporary and last only until injection with the vaccine would "no longer be detrimental.")

This raises an obvious and important question: Under what circumstances can government officials order mandatory vaccination? And could the general public be ordered to roll up their sleeves for injections, even if there might be side effects beyond a sore arm or mild fever? The concern in New York also comes as skepticism of vaccination in general seems to be on the rise.

First, some stipulations. Let us stipulate that that routine vaccination has virtually wiped out, at least in developed countries, once-rampant diseases like mumps and whooping cough. The horrors of smallpox -- variola major, which slays about a third of its victims, and the less deadly variola minor -- have vanished, thanks to a successful worldwide vaccination campaign. Even where mandatory vaccination can cause complications, the overall side effects in a population of millions will almost certainly not be as harmful as the infectious disease itself.

On the other hand, let us stipulate that not all vaccines are created equal; some may be safer than others. Out of lack of knowledge or fear, officials may order mandatory vaccinations when the vaccine has not been proven completely safe. And we should remember that the history of our own government when it comes to vaccines is not without its low points (more on this below).

Perhaps the best overview of the legality of mandatory vaccination lies in a 2005 report prepared for the U.S. Congress by the Congressional Research Service. It notes that while the federal government does have the power to order quarantines, public health has historically been the states' responsibility. The CRS report adds: "Generally, federal regulations authorizing the apprehension, detention, examination, or conditional release of individuals are applicable only to individuals coming into a State or possession from a foreign country... Any federal mandatory vaccination program applicable to the general public would likely incorporate similar jurisdictional limitations."

Much more to read at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/29/taking_liberties/entry5349581.shtml

• Like 3

I've decided not to get the N1H1 vaccine. I'm just too skeptical that this vaccine has had all the safety procedures followed. It's been rushed to approval by the fda and the feds and that gives me pause.

I'd like to see more on the true safety of this vaccine.

I'll let those who come before me be the guinea pigs.

They are in too much of a hurry to get this out there. They moved the release date up before clinical trials were even over.

Think HPV vaccine. They put on the full court press on this, claiming it was safe, etc. Then, even before it was released, more information came out- like it wasn't nearly as effective as we were led to believe. It did not prevent all forms of the disease. Then we find out that there were significant side effects, and girls actually died from receiving the HPV vaccine. Unfortunate, and yes, it does happen with even supposedly "safe" vaccines but why push something like this, especially when it's efficacy and safety is such an issue?

I've never received a flu shot before, and I am just getting over the first cold I have had in about 5 years. Are there instances where people NEED these vaccinations-yep. My wife has asthma and before it became well controlled by Advair, even a simple cold had the potential to put her in the hospital. She still gets a flu shot every year- and has the sore arm today to prove it.

I'm also of the opinion that we overmedicate ourselves today anyway- our immune systems are wasting away. Medicine is a wonderful thing, but I think we have become overly dependent on popping a pill for every ache, pain, or sniffle. If there is a valid medical reason- an underlying illness, obviously it's a good idea.

Unlike the general public, we have the capability to protect ourselves and the patient should the need arise.

Mandatory- no friggin way.

• Like 1

I got the flue shot for the first time this year.

I'm not sold on the H1N1 vaccination. Problem is, my fiance is asthmatic. Do I get the vaccine and risk the unknowns, as alluded to already? Or do I skip the shot, and risk getting H1N1 and, worse, give it to my fiance?

I haven't made a decision yet. It may not matter though, as she fully intends to get vaccinated.

DUH NO ? ABOUT IT OF COURSE IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY

MUST not USE all CAPS, must not must not. Bad bad bad slap hand slap hand makes you look silly and like you are shouting

NO the n1h1 should not be mandatory. Please explain your reasoning as to why it should be mandatory instead of just yelling and saying Duh!!!!!!

Making any type of medical procedure mandatory takes away my right to choose any medical care.

Nope I do not think it should be mandatory for anyone to take the H1N1 vaccination. I feel it should be a personal choice of the individual if they want it or not. I personally feel that is just another way of the government trying to take away another right I have by Mandating that I take a vaccine I do not want. I think Riff Raff has it right I am with him there.

I got the flue shot for the first time this year.

I'm not sold on the H1N1 vaccination. Problem is, my fiance is asthmatic. Do I get the vaccine and risk the unknowns, as alluded to already? Or do I skip the shot, and risk getting H1N1 and, worse, give it to my fiance?

I haven't made a decision yet. It may not matter though, as she fully intends to get vaccinated.

I look at it this way. We are potentially exposed to all types of communicable diseases during the course of our duties. As part of our job, we use PPE and take proper precautions to minimize the risks to ourselves and to our families. I see nothing different about this. I look at the fiasco with the Avian flu and the panic we were exposed to. I refuse to take a shot for something I am not convinced is the best course of action.

We now have 2 local hospitals here that are mandating H1N1 vaccines for ALL their employees. If I worked for these facilities, at this point I would probably be looking for another job. Just because we work in the health care field, it should NOT mean we should lose our rights and freedoms. Heavy handed tactics such as this mandate scare the hell out of me.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.