TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

I'm surprised how many of you guys thought "Paramedics" was a good show. It was horrible. I'd rather have actors making people think we are idiots than real EMTs proving it.

Paramedics is one show I've yet to be able to watch... is it really that bad?

When it was on, we used to slam it all the time here. Now that it's not on, people seem to remember it differently.

The one episode I remember most was somewhere in Floridia (Orlando area, I think), and they were with AMR. The crew they were with were bragging how they were the "Crew Of The Year" for AMR. If those two were the best that AMR had to offer, that's truly scary! They were horrible.

OK I just watched the pilot (go bootlegging!) and that was the worst pile of shit I have ever seen.

- The general interaction between each character is extremely unprofessional

- San Francisco uses AMPDS/ProQA; an electrocution would be dispatched as a Code 15, an arrest as a Code 9 rather than a "resus"

- Since WHEN do Paramedics talk to 911 callers, that's the role of the EMD

- Since WHEN to Paramedics wear chopper pilot style headsets?

- Who alerts the hospital of a case before the medics even roll up on scene?

- The ETA of the ambulance is NEVER given as per AMPDS protocol over the phone

- Since WHEN does HEMS go to a cardiac arrest?

- That only-on-TV style "big jerk" at each shock

- Somebody says "halt CPR" but CPR was never started!

- CPR is NOT performed with ONE hand

- "Drop an OPA and start bagging?" - who says that? We know what to do!

- Hyperventilate before intubation? - who does that anymore?

- Somebody starts an IV but drugs are given via IO (Nancy uses the EZ-IO)

- Nobody says "giving epi 1ml" something like "1mg of adrenaline" sounds more realistic

- The LP15 showed both a heart rate and blood pressure for thier patient in cardiac arrest (both on the roof and at the freeway)

- Nobody grabs the patient's phone and calls thier family, what crap!

- Nobody uses backboard, headblocks and a collar when transferring a cardiac arrest

- There are several errors with the pharaseology of the chopper pilots

- The radio reports when given are very unprofessional and obviously false

- Who transports a drunk with lights and siren?

- The interaction between Nancy and the physicians upon handing over the ETOH patient is very unrealistic and unprofessional

- A Paramedic who went to medical school? Yeah right

- The patient in the car who was texting (Bobby) saying "don't touch me" yet the medics treated anyway

- Same pt. saying "that hurts" but they continue to treat him!

- Several times a diagnosis was made (e.g. telling the lady her arm was broken) which is not something EMS does (diagnose)!

- Giving that guy on the board midazolam

- No Fire on scene to deal with the oil tanker

- That kid with shrapnel in his throat would probably get rapid sequence intubation here

- The cricothyrotomy scene is totally unrealistic

- Using a helicopter for a broken wriest, yeah, right!

- Checking on John Doe

- The off duty behaviour of "Rabbitt" is totally false and unrealistic

Again, a piece of crap that I would not wipe my arse with; I'd give it 5 episodes before it gets canned or it won't be renewed.

My dad knows Cliff Curtis (Rabbitt) I am sure we can all pass along what lowly opinions we have of the show.

Edited by kiwimedic
  • Like 1

OK I just watched the pilot (go bootlegging!) and that was the worst pile of shit I have ever seen.

- The general interaction between each character is extremely unprofessional

- San Francisco uses AMPDS/ProQA; an electrocution would be dispatched as a Code 15, an arrest as a Code 9 rather than a "resus"

- Since WHEN do Paramedics talk to 911 callers, that's the role of the EMD

- Who alerts the hospital of a case before the medics even roll up on scene?

- The ETA of the ambulance is NEVER given as per AMPDS protocol over the phone

- Since WHEN does HEMS go to a cardiac arrest?

- That only-on-TV style "big jerk" at each shock

- Somebody says "halt CPR" but CPR was never started!

- CPR is NOT performed with ONE hand

- "Drop an OPA and start bagging?" - who says that? We know what to do!

- Hyperventilate before intubation? - who does that anymore?

- Somebody starts an IV but drugs are given via IO (Nancy uses the EZ-IO)

- Nobody says "giving epi 1ml" something like "1mg of adrenaline" sounds more realistic

- The LP15 showed both a heart rate and blood pressure for thier patient in cardiac arrest (both on the roof and at the freeway)

- Nobody uses backboard, headblocks and a collar when transferring a cardiac arrest

- There are several errors with the pharaseology of the chopper pilots

- The radio reports when given are very unprofessional and obviously false

- The interaction between Nancy and the physicians upon handing over the ETOH patient is very unrealistic and unprofessional

- The patient in the car who was texting (Bobby) saying "don't touch me" yet the medics treated anyway

- Same pt. saying "that hurts" but they continue to treat him!

- Several times a diagnosis was made (e.g. telling the lady her arm was broken) which is not something EMS does (diagnose)!

- Giving that guy on the board midazolam

- No Fire on scene to deal with the oil tanker

- That kid with shrapnel in his throat would probably get rapid sequence intubation here

- The cricothyrotomy scene is totally unrealistic

- Checking on John Doe

- The off duty behaviour of "Rabbitt" is totally false and unrealistic

Again, a piece of crap that I would not wipe my arse with; I'd give it 5 episodes before it gets canned or it won't be renewed.

My dad knows Cliff Curtis (Rabbitt) I am sure we can all pass along what lowly opinions we have of the show.

Well I had the chance to watch this Holly Wood thing and as I know the mantra there being "why tell the truth when a lie will work just FINE!"

Honestly did anyone THINK that we could not blow so many holes in the medicine alone, a fine example of one of the reasons, I can't watch any Medical Show on the TUBE.

BUT VERY SAD to see CPR being done incorrectly ... bad bad bad example for the public.

Query: So who is the "paramedic" advisor as I sure would like to contact to have a wee campfire chat .. back to NCIS for me.

I did like the general theme that there is a personal cost of working in this industry and liked the ER Doc's words ... but thats about it.

Got to love the 212 landing on just any old rooftop .... freaking hilarious ... and interesting way of moving patients off the bird at the Hosp LZ.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Ok, I caught the last 25 minutes of this show.

I was unimpressed but I did actually enjoy this show. I know it's not realistic and it takes bad medicine to the extreme but after hearing all the bad things about it I went in to the show with a horrible pre-conceived notion that it was going to be horrible.

Well, I just got home from work and my wife said "Hey, That trauma show is on again" So I watched it.

I was unimpressed with Rabbit and the others but hey, the girls were quite good looking and rabbit is a stud according to my wife.

I did like how Rabbit talked to the girl when she was having trouble.

I also liked the guy in the suit who talked and comforted the blond haired beauty who couldn't rectify herself with the John Doe. We've all been there I think.

The show overall I'll give a C- but for the medical aspects I give it a D- or F. I didn't see the chopper incident or this would probably have gotten a D from me.

I'm not going to count this show out completely, I will watch it tomorrow night and give it a 2nd chance.

Hey Kiwi, some of the things you posted as wrong actually are some differences between US and foreign EMS. The medics wearing headsets I'm assuming you're referring to in the rescue? Some rescues have those setup in them for all crew positions. And Adrenaline is commonly referred to as Epi here in the US.

Just figured I'd do it this way, to save me the headache of going back later to edit my post.

- Since WHEN to Paramedics wear chopper pilot style headsets? If it's the scene on the rescue, some fire rescues (and possibly private ambulances) have it setup so there is a headset at each crew station.

- Who alerts the hospital of a case before the medics even roll up on scene?If there is an MCI here, sometimes dispatch will let the local facilities know what is going on so they can prepare for lots of patients, sometimes even before the first rescue is on scene if it's bad enough.

- The ETA of the ambulance is NEVER given as per AMPDS protocol over the phone Local thing. We give ETA over the radio on a regular basis

- "Drop an OPA and start bagging?" - who says that? We know what to do! If I'm working with a partner who is newer than I, and I haven't worked with them a lot, I will say things like this.

- Nobody says "giving epi 1ml" something like "1mg of adrenaline" sounds more realistic Granted, the does is wrong, but usually called Epi over here in the US, not adrenaline.

- Nobody uses backboard, headblocks and a collar when transferring a cardiac arrest Depends on MOI the lead up to the arrest or occured after (Ie: Car accident where it looks like the driver had an MI and crashed)

- A Paramedic who went to medical school? Yeah right Got one of those that I know of that works next county over. He has been a paramedic since before med school and apparently is taking a year off before starting an internship program.

- Checking on John Doe I've gone to check on patients that I brought to the faclility before. Pretty common in my system at least.

Some fire departments have David Clarke headsets in all apparatus, including ambulances. Boston EMS has them in the back, I believe, to talk to the hospital while leaving hands free for patient care.

Why not? We've got to carry them on something, why not use a carrying device that can also (when combined with a collar and blocks) help ensure the tube stays in place?

Lots of places, who have SOPs that everything is a lights and sirens transport.

We used to have a medic who was a surgeon in another country, but couldn't quite clear the boards once he came to the States.

If I know you broke your arm, I'm probably going to tell you you broke your arm. If I'm not sure, I'll tell you you should probably come with me and get it checked. I don't see what the big deal is.

Ok, well, not everyone has that option here.

Lol. At least they were using it for an actual injury! Half the time HEMS is used for mechanism only! LOL

Again, a piece of crap that I would not wipe my arse with; I'd give it 5 episodes before it gets canned

We can only hope.

Edited by CBEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.