TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

Yo, EMT11...

:wave: Oh! Pick me! Pick me, I know the answers!!

Of course we all can answer these questions. I'm with you hardcoreemt, I thought the show was pretty accurate too, except if I wore my uniform unbuttoned to my navel I'd get fired. But other than the lack of helmets, it was pretty close. (would all the members of the code red club please raise their hands) ;)

You thought the show was pretty accurate, and put a winky face after the code red reference. Tell me where in here you expected us to infer that you were one of the more professional members of our field? Most of us failed Psychic 101!!

All we have to go on is what you say here and how you say it... sorry, it looked like you were in the "Rabbit" warren based on this post... glad to hear you aren't! Vent's not stereotyping, she's accurately assessing the situation...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Edited by Eydawn
  • Like 1

Before becoming an EMT did you think all EMT's were sexist pigs? No, probably not. You probably became an EMT, like everyone else here, because we like helping people or want to be in the medical field. Airplane pilots and stewardess have been long accused of sleeping together, so does that mean every pilot and stewardess are screwing...probably not. Because of this reputation do you think a pilot is any less skilled at flying a plane? Probably not. EMTs are no different, in the field we are professional.

If anyone is stereotyping it's you......

Here again the skills mentality comes to play. Of course a pilot can be good at sex and also be good at flying a plane. I just don't want the pilot having sex in the plane. An EMT can be good at sex and also be a good health care provider. However, when it comes to having sex on the job and in the ambulance, there has to be some boundaries in professionalism.

Even the President of the U.S. gets scrutinized when engaging in sex (by whatever definition) with someone in the White House. Why should EMTs be so different to think the public won't form opinions about them having sex on the job?

In other professions, do you really believe it enhances that person's reputation to become known as a slut or party animal? While some guys are giving each other rave remarks to their face, they are probably not trusting them to be around their own spouses and children. They may also change the sheets in the ambulance first thing when knowing that person had the truck before them. It has nothing to do with teh patients. Do you really think that doesn't display more about what they think about the person as a professional or their character?

Edited by VentMedic

Yo, EMT11...

You thought the show was pretty accurate, and put a winky face after the code red reference. Tell me where in here you expected us to infer that you were one of the more professional members of our field? Most of us failed Psychic 101!!

All we have to go on is what you say here and how you say it... sorry, it looked like you were in the "Rabbit" warren based on this post... glad to hear you aren't! Vent's not stereotyping, she's accurately assessing the situation...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

If I was rising my hand in showing I was a member I would have raised it :wave: I was only "winking" at the members of the board who are members...they know who they are.

I was merely agreeing with hardcoreemt on that I could name a person who fit the descriptions he posted. I did not imply I was one of them, just that I knew someone who fit. Psychic 101 is not necessary, just Reading 101. Did you answer his questions? I bet you could name someone who fit the description. Does that make you any less professional? No.

You know what they say about assuming....

I just want to go on record as stating that I don't trust akflightmedic or tniuqs around my spouse or children.

I wouldn't either Dust.

JS, been to Portland lately??

Edited by emt11
  • Like 1

I'd say it's somewhere in between. I think the professional organizations of many other professions have bigger fish to fry. Though, true, I'm sure there are many articles written that we never seen...but of the ones I have seen (physician and LE world), they've never been so raging and spiteful.

At the same time you need to start thinking outside the box, yes other professions have been depicted in an unkind or unfair light as well, there is no doubt about that, however when they have protested it just may not have caught your eye.

Not all computer technicians wear short sleeved shirts, clip on ties, ill fitting black pants with white socks (some wear logo’d polo shirts…) and even lawyers have complained about their inaccurate caricatures, not all bankers are crooks (last one probably hard to prove).

The point being, yes TV is just TV, but this show has obviously touched a sensitive spot in most first responders for the very reason that WE ARE ALREADY so widely misunderstood by the public.

Is that exclusively our fault, I think salient arguments could be made for both positions, however shows like this certainly don’t help the fight to correct these misperceptions.

I do believe a difference can be found on the positive side and not the negative, in that most of the other groups portrayed on TV have some type of PR spokesmen (women) who puts out in the public view a positive spin of the profession which acts somewhat to counter negative stories or images.

Unfortunately I can’t think of any such group that has run a successful campaign for EMS.

Always IMHO

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

• Like 1

Straight out of Compton . . .

"First In"

A mix of fire and EMS.

What's an ambulance operator?

Full Episodes here:

First In

NickD :)

Hope that one works out...haven't seen the episode or talked to the guys, but that one is an actual reality show trying to show the job itself.

I'm surprised how many of you guys thought "Paramedics" was a good show. It was horrible. I'd rather have actors making people think we are idiots than real EMTs proving it.

I'm surprised how many of you guys thought "Paramedics" was a good show. It was horrible. I'd rather have actors making people think we are idiots than real EMTs proving it.

:lol: so true but so damn fun to watch at times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.