TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

Well we do have to remember this is California.

The other filming choice was in Canada but I heard they didn't put up much of a fight for the show even for the $3 million.

Right now this show is also costing SF money since they just picked up the tab for a $270K tent party. If the show gets cancelled too soon the city may not see the profit they were hoping after the cost of PD and street closings. But, at least the Mayor's wife got a role in the show.

Yet, every profession is in the same boat as far as being inaccurately depicted. Most don't cry about it.

Actually, most do. We just don't hear about it because we're not in their communications loop.

• Like 1

I like watching Beverly Hills Cop 2. I'm GLAD they didn't portray it realistically.

Again, their mistake was in concentrating too much on making people think this was real rather than focusing on interpersonal relations of a good drama show.

Point taken.

-w

Actually, most do. We just don't hear about it because we're not in their communications loop.

I'd say it's somewhere in between. I think the professional organizations of many other professions have bigger fish to fry. Though, true, I'm sure there are many articles written that we never seen...but of the ones I have seen (physician and LE world), they've never been so raging and spiteful.

Yet, every profession is in the same boat as far as being inaccurately depicted. Most don't cry about it.

Yes but some of the other professions don't always have an outspoken group of individuals to provide proof there are idiots in that profession.

Take this new article:

Florida Responders run over patient

http://tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/st-petersburg-firefighters-accidentally-run-over-victim-they-were-sent-to/1038961

If the article itself didn't put the FD in a bad light, the comments made by those claiming to be FFs/EMTs/Paramedics did. This is for all to see in the web version of the newspaper.

Uh oh. I hope those guys realize that their comments are admissible in court. Wow!

That's just ridiculous...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

The IAFF wrote an official letter of protest against this show before the NAEMT did.

Although, they were probably whining about the EMS guys getting all the glory. :lol:

The IAFF wrote an official letter of protest against this show before the NAEMT did.

Although, they were probably whining about the EMS guys getting all the glory. :lol:

True.

Interesting SFFD forked all that money out (in reference to Ventie's comment)...I was told they REALLY did not like the show (specifically because of things like sex in the ambulance).

True.

Interesting SFFD forked all that money out (in reference to Ventie's comment)...I was told they REALLY did not like the show (specifically because of things like sex in the ambulance).

Separate budget. SFFD did NOT fork out any money. This is the part of the city that sponsors tourism and the filming industry. The expenditure for the tent party apparently caught them by surprise. Somebody in city hall may not have read the fine print in the contract.

Did you miss the part where I referred to the person posting who is claiming to be in EMS and believes it is acceptable to drink and have sex in an ambulance? That is not about a TV show. I would hope most do not get into this profession just because of "these fun things" as well as all the whacker accessories or the lights and sirens. As a professional, I would rather move past the stereotypes that have been prevalent in EMS. It are those in EMS and not the public that continue to hold on to this skewed concept of what an EMT(P) is. As Dust mentioned earlier, the public knows the difference between a real doctor and some fictious version on TV because they have real doctor role models in their real lives. What does EMS have if those in the profession believe they are like the characters portrayed in these crappy shows?

I'm the person you were referring to...you need to read my post again. Did I say I was a member of the code red club? Did I say is was acceptable to drink (I never mentioned drinking) or have sex in an ambulance? Before you start accusing people of being "whackers" or in it for the "fun things" I suggest you get your facts straight. I am indeed an EMT, intermediate for 8 years in fact. I have worked for both private ambulances and volunteer fire departments. Personally I am not a member of the code red club, yuck! I've seen what type of people are transported, again Yuck!But know several co-workers who are. In fact there have been numerous bragging sessions in the chat room in the 4+ years I've been hanging out at this site about sex in the ambulance and code red club. Either these egoistical EMTs were lying or the club exists. For every 1 EMT similar to those portrayed in the show I bet there more than 50 EMTs who are there for the job and none of the "fun stuff".

Before becoming an EMT did you think all EMT's were sexist pigs? No, probably not. You probably became an EMT, like everyone else here, because we like helping people or want to be in the medical field. Airplane pilots and stewardess have been long accused of sleeping together, so does that mean every pilot and stewardess are screwing...probably not. Because of this reputation do you think a pilot is any less skilled at flying a plane? Probably not. EMTs are no different, in the field we are professional.

If anyone is stereotyping it's you......

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.