TRAUMA Premiere, 20 Sep 09

Dustdevil

I can tell you that the actors themselves have put in a good deal of effort to try to get a feel for what real EMTs/Medics are like, what working EMS is like, and the hardships of their lives are like. They are of course limited by what the people on the movie staff tell them to go for and the stories they create.

• Like 1

I can tell you that the actors themselves have put in a good deal of effort to try to get a feel for what real EMTs/Medics are like, what working EMS is like, and the hardships of their lives are like. They are of course limited by what the people on the movie staff tell them to go for and the stories they create.

You do realize this show has been filmed on location in San Francisco?

If they had done their homework this could have been a better night time soap with lots of sex and action if they had actually used the mess in that city with the political figures (including the mayor and his actress wife), PD, FD and/vs EMS for realism. Some of the real stuff that happens in SF is beyond what any fiction writer could dream up.

i saw the preview of it while watching something some other program on that network.....the paramedic was doing cpr and then the guy opened his eyes while she was doing compressions and telling him not to die and he didnt!!! he looked at her... what???? REALLY!!! like that happens?? baywatch all over

i have to agree that this show angers me.. we are professionals and this show trashes that. with the sex in the rig and all the other garbage of that show. i will never watch it! mnf is on anyway but this show has all our brother and sister that have paved the way for us rolling over in their graves!

ugh just my opinion

2wheelie

Why do you think this?

Look I do understand the idea of "Acting", but there was a time when actors studied their subjects, and made an effort to portray them accurately, and the writers tried to make a believable story line.

I've seen Medic's treat EMT's that way (and they got a reputation for such) but fellow medics, they'd have nitro paste in their boots before their next shift…

(btw CPR shows up on a monitor… the wave form does not stay flat until there's a heart beat….)

A friend of mine defends this by saying they need action so they combine a year's worth of jobs into a day, but is it too much to ask for the SCENT of authenticity? "COPS" has a decent viewer base and that's just a bunch of shields busting petty felons (and it's a "REALITY" show).

Like any show if our day ran like this program, we'd be on an Ativan drip by the end of the day, and speaking of which I know "Rabbit" would be in custody if he pulled a stunt like that in NYC, let our actors practice within the law.

For the folks who say you need drama, you can have that without a plane crash or a truck blowing up every 15 seconds, what about dialog? Look at ER, you have a trauma, disease, kindly homeless person with nowhere to go, and some staff issue (child care, boss issues, love found or lost, etc) and ran that formula for years to many awards.

I think this show sucks and possibly worse does damage because it distorts reality so greatly it gives the public false expectations.

Maybe my standards are too high for today's TV shows.

Go ahead tell me I'm wrong.

As always IMHO

Be safe

WANTYNU

• Like 1

It was like a really big train wreck. I wanted to look away, but I was just transfixed by now ridiculous it was. It's 43 minutes of my life I will never get back, however, it did give my husband and I some quality bonding time. It's not nice to sit and make fun of regular people, so instead we took it out on this show!

What a total EPIC FAIL. God I hope they cancel it before it does even more harm to our profession.

• Like 1

You do realize this show has been filmed on location in San Francisco?

If they had done their homework this could have been a better

Uh, the whole point of my post was saying the actors DID do their homework. But in the end, they have to act out what the writers/directors/etc tells them to. Those creative people in charge were very insistent on what they wanted. They were also informed exactly how unrealistic each scene was, but in the end their goal was entertainment and not showing real EMS. My criticism of them is for ads claiming to show what a paramedics life was like and not delivering...

WANTYNU:

Yeah, great post, but the whole point of mine was to agree with someone else that the actors aren't writing the script and they had a legitimate interest in learning about paramedic's real lives and jobs. But in the end, the creative people in charge decide what happens. So, nice list (came up with a bigger one)....but goes to waste in regards to the actors messing up.

PS EDIT:

Already got a -1 neg rep...probably someone misreading the post in the first place. This rep thing's gonna be fun...

Edited by AnthonyM83
  • Like 1

I'm a bit torn on this. Yes, the show was a flaming turd, but it's hard for me to gauge the effect this show will have on non-EMS folk. House certainly doesn't portray doctors in a good light, but people still go to them. We'll see. Hopefully we can take care of any necessary damage control.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.