Firefighters Run Over Another One

Dustdevil

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/62286107.html

Web Posted: 09/27/2009 9:26 CDT

Motorcyclist killed in collision with ambulance

By Michelle Mondo
- Express-News

A 46-year-old motorcyclist was killed Sunday afternoon when he failed to yield to an ambulance en route to a call and collided with it at a North Side intersection, authorities said.

The name of the man was not released because his family had not been notified, according to authorities.

Melissa Sparks, a spokeswoman for the San Antonio Fire Department, said the crash occurred around 4 p.m. at U.S. 281 and Evans Road.

Sparks said she did not know where the ambulance was going when the crash occurred.

Officials with the San Antonio Police Department said other traffic did yield to the ambulance.

Edited by Dustdevil

L&S syndronme strikes again. When will people learn that we are should stop AT INTERSECTIONS AND MAKE SURE THAT THE PEOPLE WITH THE GREEN LIGHT ARE GOING TO ALLOW US TO PASS.

Agreed.

Sorry this is very sadly becoming a dead horse. I have little else to add.

Edited by docharris

Agreed.

Sorry this is very sadly becoming a dead horse. I have little else to add.

but there are some on this forum who think that running through red lights is ok just as long as you can see all 4 ways. It's those pesky small motorcycles that just make the equation a little more dicey.

Edited by Ruffems

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/62286107.html

Web Posted: 09/27/2009 9:26 CDT

Motorcyclist killed in collision with ambulance

By Michelle Mondo
- Express-News

A 46-year-old motorcyclist was killed Sunday afternoon when he failed to yield to an ambulance en route to a call and collided with it at a North Side intersection, authorities said.

The name of the man was not released because his family had not been notified, according to authorities.

Melissa Sparks, a spokeswoman for the San Antonio Fire Department, said the crash occurred around 4 p.m. at U.S. 281 and Evans Road.

Sparks said she did not know where the ambulance was going when the crash occurred.

Officials with the San Antonio Police Department said other traffic did yield to the ambulance.

Dead horse? This is a problem or disease that can be prevented. Isn't this what initial EMT programs were brought up for? Doesn't anyone teach about this problem anymore in their Ambulance Operations section of EMS classes? Get a used ambulance for your programs, not to drive L&S through town for practice, but to be aware of your vehicle. Employ driving simulators if available. Whether is was the motorcyclists fault or not, we as EMSers should by extra keen to the potential motorists that we are among. L&S are only requesting the right of way. This is an area that I believe many programs are complacent about. Could this be a reason insurance rates for ambulance services have skyrocketed?

Dead horse? This is a problem or disease that can be prevented. Isn't this what initial EMT programs were brought up for? Doesn't anyone teach about this problem anymore in their Ambulance Operations section of EMS classes? Get a used ambulance for your programs, not to drive L&S through town for practice, but to be aware of your vehicle. Employ driving simulators if available. Whether is was the motorcyclists fault or not, we as EMSers should by extra keen to the potential motorists that we are among. L&S are only requesting the right of way. This is an area that I believe many programs are complacent about. Could this be a reason insurance rates for ambulance services have skyrocketed?

You're absolutely right. I should have been more precise in my response. This is a dead horse, because the lines are firmly drawn between those who understand the issue and agree that proper education and driver safety is a must and one of the biggest risks and liabilities in EMS and those that throw out such gems as: "Seconds count." or "I know which intersections are safe." or "Some lights are okay to run." or "Maybe in your area but in mine..." in the face of mounting injuries and deaths from preventable Ambulance collisions. The deadhorse is trying to convince the idiots that they're wrong while the rest of us pat ourselves on the back for being such safe, diligent operators of emergency vehicles. Frankly I need the mental masturbation less then I need the frustration.

I work in a system with a full time Driver Safety Officer, EVOC as part of school and as part of hiring, stringent requirements for clean driving records for Paramedics (both within the service and for Provincial maintenance of certification) and most importantly, a professional culture. About three months of driving L&S only with a partner up front (non Code 4 return for 20 shifts) pulling back the reins on the overeager tends to shake out most of the whacker tendencies. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I have confidence in the way this is being addressed within my workplace as part of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI).

I work in a system with a full time Driver Safety Officer, EVOC as part of school and as part of hiring, stringent requirements for clean driving records for Paramedics (both within the service and for Provincial maintenance of certification) and most importantly, a professional culture. About three months of driving L&S only with a partner up front (non Code 4 return for 20 shifts) pulling back the reins on the overeager tends to shake out most of the whacker tendencies. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I have confidence in the way this is being addressed within my workplace as part of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI).

Sounds like you really weed our the whackers. Like most we just require a regular car license (not what you call a Class 4) and two days of driver training then 10 runs evaluated by a partner as being acceptable. The driver-training is inhouse so there is a good deal of scrutiny here as to "no whackers allowed".

Up until 1999 we required a CDL (passenger endorsement) to drive an ambulance but the volunteers killed that.

Sounds like you really weed our the whackers. Like most we just require a regular car license (not what you call a Class 4) and two days of driver training then 10 runs evaluated by a partner as being acceptable. The driver-training is inhouse so there is a good deal of scrutiny here as to "no whackers allowed".

Up until 1999 we required a CDL (passenger endorsement) to drive an ambulance but the volunteers killed that.

I hear you. I work in tristate region where the state policies are different concerning ambulance driving. Some require CDL and others don't. Unfortunately, even people that have been through the requirements of the CDL or whatever classifications, still operate the ambulances with the heads up the hole when it comes to L&S.

I can't drive as we have a "no drive until 25" policy, which probably isn't a bad thing, but I can just picture that "oh shit" moment of running someone over running lights and sirens. I guess you couldn't really stop? You already have a duty to act on the call your headed to it would seem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.