HEMS Crash

Names have not been released yet, but very early this morning a helicopter crashed in South Carolina (Georgetown County). They had just dropped off a patient so fortunately no patient aboard but there were no survivors. Please everyone be safe on both the air and ground.

The condolence book is open at flightweb.

http://www.flightweb.com/condolences/index.php?cid=50

Thought and prayers for the families and friends of my fallen colleagues.

Take care,

chbare.

Thanks for letting me know. It wasn't up when I was on there earlier today. The names have now been released.

Helicopter pilot Patrick Walters, 45, of Murrells Inlet, flight nurse, Dianna Conner, 42, of Florence and flight medic Randolph Dove, 39, of Bladenboro, N.C.,

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hoMftQjB-XvNYugDcwnHqM3LOY4gD9AV74CG3

NTSB: 3 killed in medical helicopter crash in SC (AP) – 6 hours ago

GEORGETOWN, S.C. — A medical transport helicopter that was damaged last year crashed in coastal South Carolina, killing all three people on board, authorities said Saturday.

The company that owned the helicopter, Addison, Texas-based Omniflight, said 45-year-old pilot Patrick Walters of Murrells Inlet; 42-year-old flight nurse Diana Conner of Florence; and 39-year-old paramedic Randolph Claxton Dove of Bladenboro, N.C., died in the Friday night crash.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators were en route to the scene Saturday. Agency spokesman Peter Knudson says no patients were on board the helicopter, which had dropped off a patient at about 9:35 p.m. Friday in Charleston, about 60 miles southwest of Georgetown County.

In a statement, the company confirmed that the American Eurocopter AS350B2 took off from Charleston around 11 p.m. Friday and was headed to Conway, a city about 50 miles north of Georgetown.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen says the pilot last radioed air traffic control at 11:05 p.m., saying the crew was about four miles from an airport near Charleston and had it in sight.

The helicopter crashed shortly thereafter, at about 11:30 p.m., Knudson said.

A thunderstorm moved through the area shortly before the crash, according to the National Weather Service. Authorities have not said if weather conditions contributed to the accident.

On its Web site, Omniflight says the company operates 100 aircraft from 72 bases in 18 states. In a statement, the company said its 1,000 employees were coping with the tragedy.

"Omniflight is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of its crew members and wishes to express its deepest regrets and sincerest condolences to the families and friends of those who lost their lives," the company said.

Omniflight spokesman Joel Hochhalter says the company is suspending service in Conway because the helicopter was the company's only one in that area.

Hochhalter also said the helicopter had never had mechanical problems, but NTSB records show the aircraft was damaged during a May 2008 incident.

According to the NTSB, a pilot preparing for takeoff from Caffery Heliport in Hiram, Ga., said the helicopter began to shake violently as he advanced the throttle. Immediately shutting down the helicopter, the told investigators he saw extensive damage to the main rotor.

An audit of maintenance records showed that the rotor should have been replaced almost 600 flight hours earlier, the report showed. Omniflight immediately audited its other helicopters, and no other rotors were shown as overdue for replacement.

NTSB records also show that another similar helicopter, also operated by Omniflight, was involved in another incident in South Carolina. On July 2, another Eurocopter was damaged when it struck steel poles adjacent to the helipad at Loris Community Hospital Heliport.

No one was injured. The pilot continued the landing and performed an emergency engine shutdown, records show.

Earlier this month, NTSB officials urged the government to impose stricter controls on emergency helicopter operators citing last year's record number of fatalities. There were nine accidents between December 2007 and October 2008, killing 35 people.

There have been three accidents since then, but no fatalities reported until the South Carolina crash.

Someone's laziness in replacing a rotor could very likely been the cause of the crash; sad to know that 3 people lost thier lives. May they rest in peace.

NTSB records also show that another similar helicopter, also operated by Omniflight, was involved in another incident in South Carolina. On July 2, another Eurocopter was damaged when it struck steel poles adjacent to the helipad at Loris Community Hospital Heliport.

Someone's laziness in replacing a rotor could very likely been the cause of the crash

The crashed "copter", per the news line, was the same type "copter", not the same actual aircraft.

I extend my own condolences to the deceased personnel's families, and the extended family of the agency members.

The crashed "copter", per the news line, was the same type "copter", not the same actual aircraft.

I extend my own condolences to the deceased personnel's families, and the extended family of the agency members.

Richard - I believe he was referencing the fact that the helicopter's main rotor previously had significant damage and was overdue to be changed by 600 hours rather than the similar one which was involved in the incident.

Again prayers to family, friends, coworkers. God be with you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.