What do YOU think preschoolers should learn

Gypsy

Ok this might be in the wrong section if it is please move it to the right one I wont be offended.

This is mostly to the firefighters we have on this board. Next month at the school I work at we're going over fire prevention and safety. Now yes we do have a curiculem we teach from but lets just face it: it beyond sugar coats and just leaves stuff out. So here's my question to all of you- What do you think a preschooler ages 4-5 should know about fire stafety, prevention, and you guys. Do any of you know where I can find pictures or videos of trainings/demos? Or can you send me some yourselves?

As some of you know I don't sugar coat things to my kids. I don't feel it helps them learn. My moto in teaching is the only thing that limits a child's learning is their teacher. If you were part of the penpal program you know my kids are sharp as tacks. hehe. ( No joke a few can even take vitals and do an EKG. Ask Lone he'll tell ya!)

As a teacher I know what things I think are important but as a firefighter you guys know what things kids are never told but would make your jobs a hell of a lot easier.

Kids are never to young to learn a good fire escape plan. You might want to address that issue on how would they get out if a fire happened. I would ask them if they have a plan at their homes? Invovle the parnets too, wouldnt hurt. If you have a smokey bear in your area call them ask if he can come visit the kids. Go to your local FD and see if they have coloring books and crayons you can give the kids to teach them about fire safety. Ask the Fire Cheif in your area if he can come and talk with the kids, and maybe bring a truck for them to look over. That is what we did when my son was younger a few moons ago!! :innocent:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.