What happens between calls

danderson900

<snip> based on absurdity.

And the winner of the most negative reputation award goes to sans bacon and for good reason.

To the OP:

In one of the backward colonies in the Commonwealth of Nations, ie Kanukistan, where politeness is still considered a redeeming quality (well in most cases) :devilish:

The between calls time is spent: check lists, restock, cleaning of units, sustenance, study and sleep in that order.

cheers

4) I have never once insulted or poo pooed the ability of American Paramedics. Far from it. They are the envy of the uncivilised world. I have only questioned the moral and ethical traits of the individual concerned.

"They are the envy of the uncivilised world," he says. American versus UK English spelling notwithstanding, he betrays the UK with HIS uncivilized attacks on a 36 year experience EMT (NOT a Paramedic). He keeps implying I didn't respond in a timely fashion to a call, when, in fact, I did.

I repeat my question of how many years has he been working on an ambulance?

Then, there is the question of the United States' late entry into the world wars.

In the case of the First World War, it was because of the German torpedoing of the Lusitania (spelling?), a UK flagged ocean liner. Even though the German Embassy had posted advertisements in local New York papers that anyone in transit on UK flagged shipping was endangered of being torpedoes, the fact that so many Americans were killed on that ship, we decided to avenge them, and in addition to material support, we sent troops and ships.

(I will bow to the conspiracy mongers, who say the Royal Mail Ship Lusitania was carrying ammunition for England, which was triggered into a secondary explosion by the torpedo from the German U-Boat: Divers exploring the wreck have seen damage supporting this theory)

For the Second World War, yes, Germany and the UK had been slugging it out from 1938 (I think). We entered the war, due to the sneak attack by Japan at the American bases at Pearl Harbor, "Battleship Row", Hickham Field Air Base, and the surrounding areas of the Hawiian Islands. Japan and Germany had agreements to support each other, so we ended up in a two ocean war.

And a point of order, here: Britain has also made mistakes in war. They sent an old, proud warship that was not properly equipped with armorplating against the most superior battleship of the day. The HMS Hood never got a shot off, when the first volley from Bismark hit her, and caused her to sink in less than 10 minutes, with great loss of life of HMS Hood's crew.

Allow me the privillage to reply to your wildly absurd rant.

1) Firstly the matter of independence, you didnt beat us. History shows that we graciously allowed you your freedom on account of your questionable loyalty and fighting ability against the French, and for your skill and panache for killing native Americans.

2) The war of 1812 is a minor triffling affair and is not even recorded as a proper war such as was fought against real opponants such as the noble brave Frenchies or Spanish.

Twas little more than a piffling border dispute with a minor nation.

3) Some people crueler than I may question the USA very late entry into both world wars.

I however do not wish to dwell on accusations of cowardice.

Suffice to say, thanks very much for the money. You saved us all from starving and freezing to death. Good on you ! Could we have a bit more ?

4) I have never once insulted or poo pooed the ability of American Paramedics. Far from it. They are the envy of the uncivilised world. I have only questioned the moral and ethical traits of the individual concerned.

So Kevin, your reply does not even warrant a reply but since you made it a point of showing how wrong I was.

Let's look at it this way.

1. The brits indeed did surrender and turn over their weapons to George Washington.

2. The war of 1812 is considered to be a war by many historians.

3. Late entry into the war, be glad that we got in the war and dropped the bomb on Japan which no other country was willing to do, thus saving many more deaths on both sides.

4. Yes all the money that came from the US saved many millions from starvation and helped rebuild your country as well as Japan and France. You might well say that we saved your asses after we won the war for you.

that is all.

And a point of order, here: Britain has also made mistakes in war. They sent an old, proud warship that was not properly equipped with armorplating against the most superior battleship of the day. The HMS Hood never got a shot off, when the first volley from Bismark hit her, and caused her to sink in less than 10 minutes, with great loss of life of HMS Hood's crew.

I don't think a true and thorough discussion of the causes of World War 1 or 2 or the entry of the United States into either is possible or likely on these pages and I won't try. I would like to, however, spend a moment on the HMS Hood. HMS Hood's destruction (if I recall correctly) was a product of a chain reaction caused by the lack of flash proof shutters separating the various compartments of the turret, gun lobby, handling room and magazine from each other thus controlling chain reactions. Bismark did not have this problem due to a peacetime training incident that resulted in a similar catastrophic destruction of a German vessel and allowed them to retrofit their designs early. To the best of my recollection, the explosion of HMS Hood was what lead to the wide spread adoption of these flash shutters in other allied naval designs. Either way I'd hardly call a previously unknown design flaw a mistake. Certainly not in the same calibre as the other, much larger missteps made by both sides during the course of the War.

Honestly if we leave aside the excesses of the Nazi party and the Holocaust, both of which were largely unknown publicly, and neither of which was a motivating factor for the leaders of the allies before or during the war, we have little choice but to accept that propaganda value aside, WWII had little to do with defeating evil or defending freedom and is instead a continuation of the poorly settled political issues of the first world war. And of course the First World War had more to do with arms races and old school imperialism than it did Arch Duke Ferdinand.

This isn't meant to diminish the extreme evil of the Holocaust, the mistreatment of prisoners, or the other evil deeds of the Nazis under Hitler, but instead to remind us that hindsight is 20-20 and how we view the war now does not necessarily represent the motivations of the various world leaders at that time.

This is also more productive then actually engaging with sansbacon. Now who want's to watch "Band of Brothers" or "The Devil's Brigade?"

• Like 1

Honestly if we leave aside the excesses of the Nazi party and the Holocaust, both of which were largely unknown publicly, and neither of which was a motivating factor for the leaders of the allies before or during the war, we have little choice but to accept that propaganda value aside, WWII had little to do with defeating evil or defending freedom and is instead a continuation of the poorly settled political issues of the first world war. And of course the First World War had more to do with arms races and old school imperialism than it did Arch Duke Ferdinand.

Quoted for profundity.

Funny how Europia whines about our "late" entry into a war if they are being attacked, but then whines about our preemptive entry into wars when they are not being attacked. Selfish hypocrites.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.