Old ambulance restoration

ptfd121

I think that was Chippewa's Utility/Rescue Truck, rather than an ambulance. A local company has a rescue like that, Bread Truck design we call it. Because of some unfortunate headlines they recently made, I won't post any pictures..

I think that was Chippewa's Utility/Rescue Truck, rather than an ambulance. A local company has a rescue like that, Bread Truck design we call it. Because of some unfortunate headlines they recently made, I won't post any pictures..

I had contacted Chippewa about this truck. They did use it as a light rescue, but it was set up as an ambulance before they got it (they bought it used). The fellow I talked to said they may have transported a very small number of patients in it. The interior is prepiped for O2 with 4 outlets for flowmeters. The flowmeter fittings use what appears to be an quick connect for airlines only shorter. There is also a compartment on the outside for a large o2 tank with piping connecting to the flowmeter mounts. It also appears to have had a Rico suction unit at one time because the mount is still in it.

I know that New York City used a few of these back in the early 70's

I know that New York City used a few of these back in the early 70's

We did, exclusively, but started phasing them out in the late 1970s in favor of the type one modulars. The last one was converted to a mobile command post called the Field Com, retired in 1986. Thing was so used/abused, it could only go 25 miles per hour, downhill, with the wind pushing it, with a long running start. Maybe.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.