Old ambulance restoration

ptfd121

I recently started a restoration of an old 1972 GMC step van ambulance. Is there anyone out there who used to run in an old step van? would anyone have any information on these old things? The truck was made by Grumman Olsen or maybee Olsen by themselves. It was actually made as an ambulance with exterior compartments for an O2 bottle and other equipment.The darn thing even has a small sink inside.

Any info would be helpfull

Thanks

Dan

Wow! Cool project! I ran in a 1975 ambulance that was very close to a Step van. It was a GMC van chassis with a large utility box on the rear that was not specifically manufactured as an ambulance. It was converted from a shell to become an ambulance, back when there were only a couple of modular ambulance builders in the country. Had a sink with running water in it even. I *might* be able to come up with some photos of the interior if I look really, really hard, but they may not be helpful to you. Specifically, what info are you looking for?

One thing I can say is that most ambulances in the 70's all had the same orangish-brownish faux tile linoleum floor covering.

One thing I can say is that most ambulances in the 70's all had the same orangish-brownish faux tile linoleum floor covering.

WHAT ?

No shag rug ?

I have tried to upload the pictures but the files are too large. It can be seen on my facebook page if anyone is interested. Look up Dan Gilmore, the photos are under the "my vehicles past and present" It's on the last page. It's a big white ugly thing. Sorry I couldn't get them to post on here.

Thanks

Back in the 80s I worked for a guy named Steve Diamond in Port Arthur, Texas. He had a large collection of professionally restored (I mean to brand new) antique ambulances. I think he lives in Austin now, used to own MetroCare. I bet he'd know where to find stuff for your project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.