Play w/ Breasts, Lose Paramedic Cert., Remain Fire Chief, Priceless!

spenac

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is there ever a reason to touch a patients breasts? Explain in forum

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does it sound like he was wrong? Explain in forum

• Yes
    • No

A patient is a patient is a patient.

Isn't there a statute of limitations on that? I mean, they're not your patient forever, are they?

For instance, if you deliver a baby on duty, you can still bang them 16 years later, right?

OK trying to think of defense for the fire chief. Perhaps patient is concerned that one of her breast implants have ruptured and that is what is making her sick so she asks him to see if he feels any difference? :rolleyes:

Defense depends on if he was wide eyed and smiling, or purposely palpating for anomalies.

As per the poll:

1) Yes. When necessary for chest assessment or to place a 12 lead.

2) Yes.

I recently had a pt. c/o severe thigh pain. Upon arrival she was naked and under a blanket. When asked if she wished to get dressed prior to transport, she declined opting for a robe instead. She did not care that she was naked and neither did I. We helped her get her robe on and get on the stretcher.

That being said, when the same pt.'s other complaints and her hx made me suspicious of an atypical MI, I asked my partner to pull over so I could do a 12 lead. I also made sure to have him hop in the back to assist and cover my but. I didn't expect a problem, but that doesn't mean I don't take steps to minimize them and ensure professional conduct. That's also why, even though she was quite comfortable without it, I provided a pillow case to cover her chest while the leads were being placed.

And Dust, I think you'd be able to show that the Pt.-provider relationship had ended, so provided it was legal and consensual I'm sure all you have to worry about is how well armed her father is.

Herbie, here is an article about the tampon thing. My guess they would do this at their school dances or something. Where they couldn't physically have an alcoholic beverage in hand. Pretty sure the absorption rate would be a lot greater this way too.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2009/08/vodka-soaked_tampons_and_anal.php

As for the topic in hand (no pun intended). I feel he was definitely in the wrong, according to the story we are getting. Paramedics are not trained (or at least not to my knowledge) to do breast exams. Maybe in certain settings like they are working in a clinic or something like that with proper training.

If this happened to me, I would be inclined to tell her no and explain why. We are professionals and this had nothing to do with a physical exam. If she was concerned about a breast implant being ruptured, she could have mentioned so. This donkey sedated her to a point where she possibly could not make a coherent decision. If there were a reason he was going to exam them, then so be it, do the exam.

One question- are you guys serious about the alcohol in a tampon thing? I thought I had heard just about everything, but this is a new one on me. What is the point- just another way to get drunk? Better buzz? Kinky?

My gawd- who thinks of these things?

Heres a discussion.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/11178-female-acting-drunk-check-diabetes-then-check-tampon/page__hl__tampon%20__fromsearch__1

It sounds to me like we don't have the whole story. We've got one quote from one guy (the complainant) who says the medic might have done something wrong. That really isn't much to go on.

I don't understand how we can assess someone's guilt on such flimsy evidence. Might as well read the tabloids.

It sounds to me like we don't have the whole story. We've got one quote from one guy (the complainant) who says the medic might have done something wrong. That really isn't much to go on.

I don't understand how we can assess someone's guilt on such flimsy evidence. Might as well read the tabloids.

My guess theres something there since the state suspended him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.