EMT at sporting events

okropegirl

I have been off work for nearly a year due to two ankle surgeries and was thinking I may ease back into the profession by working at special events? Does anyone know of any services that do just this kind of work? What kind of liability do you face? Just curious is anyone has specialized in this area? Thanks

I have been off work for nearly a year due to two ankle surgeries and was thinking I may ease back into the profession by working at special events? Does anyone know of any services that do just this kind of work? What kind of liability do you face? Just curious is anyone has specialized in this area? Thanks

You will need to ensure that you are practicing under an MD's license. Obviously if you work for a private provider, those things will be taken care of.

Remember, we cannot function without a doctor's license.

We have of events throughout the year, and local EMT are contracted to provide EMS services to them. The most popular is the annual fair. During the fair, the probability of accidents occur during events such as bull riding, demo derby, and tractor pulls. No ambulance is provided, however, is available should someone be injured. It is available for them, just like it is for any resident, but it is usually not placed on standby. The pay is great and the hours are many.

Thanks for your replies. I did find one guy that specializes in bull riding and things like that. I may give him a call and see how he is set up. Thanks

Are you talking about freelancing as a provider at such events, or working for a provider organisation that provides coverage? The two are very different situations with very different concerns to be considered.

Are you talking about freelancing as a provider at such events, or working for a provider organisation that provides coverage? The two are very different situations with very different concerns to be considered.

Good point. Showing up on your own and providing medical care could land you in some trouble. If the event coordinator hires you to come on and provide this on your own there is still liability to be concerned about.

• Like 1

Good point. Showing up on your own and providing medical care could land you in some trouble. If the event coordinator hires you to come on and provide this on your own there is still liability to be concerned about.

Hired by the event coordinator.

Do they carry the liability the ambulance does? Do they have a medical director backing them for someone to provide medical care? You can't just freelance medical care where ever you want to without having those things. If you stop at the scene of an accident you can only provide first aid unless you are covered by your ambulance service. WORKING some place and providing medical care ON YOUR OWN, is not going keep you covered by your ambulance service. You would need to work under the care of a medical director contracted by the even itself. Then you would be employed by them.

Timmy posted a string re coverage at a sporting event, specifically, a rodeo. Might I suggest you look at this older string? It has some things you might want to take into consideration.

www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/13920-my-rodeo-vent/page__hl__rodeo__fromsearch__1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.