Employer & Tb Testing

Pro_EMT

As far as I know, it is not law. It is simply policy among many agencies and facilities. I would agree with the link from Crotch, that it's unnecessary hype spurred on by outdated thinking.

I worked for several EMS agency for several towns and some private, however, one private company I recently joined doesnt offer nor mandate Tb testing. Is this legal in new jersey or anywere?

The best way to get the most accurate information is to contact the regional center in your area. EMS agencies have a way of seeing loopholes in the laws or falling through the cracks. This is both good and bad. While some may feel testing and various vaccines are unnecessary, it is good to know you employer has a plan established for occupational exposure of diseases that are infectious and what your rights are. This also includes Hep C.

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/education/rtmc/default.htm'>http://www.cdc.gov/tb/education/rtmc/default.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/

Many different state health care licenses also require those getting a new license or renewing to have an least 1 CEU to update them on TB and/or HIV. That way you know what your rights are and if there were any changes in the laws.

I don't always agree with forced vacination but I do see the point when exposure is highly possible but it is still based on "what if?". However, for TB, I know I see at least 1 - 4 patients per shift (at the hospital) who are being treated for active and sometimes Atypical TB. Even though I take precautions, many of these patients are dx'd after they have been in the system for a couple of days. The testing for TB determines if you have been exposed or converted to positive and should be treated. Early detection and treatment is the rationale here for the employee. Of course, the probability is low that TB is spread as easily as one thought although many healthcare workers have now converted to positive. Some have required aggressive treatment and some not. A few have been disabled. It all depends on your work environment, you awaremess of the risk factors and your own health situation.

Here in PA, all employers must offer the testing and vaccinations at the cost of the company. Although, the employee can choose not to get them. As for EMS/Fire agencies, I would hope it be policy for providers to have such things done.

I had to sign a waiver at work denying them, only because I already had them done. It stated that I could not sue the company if I were to get infected because I denied the testing/vaccines. I was hesitant to sign at first, since I wasn't denying them, it was just I recently had them done else where. I was given another form stating I had already had the vaccines.

ps Since these are private medical records, no company can force you to get them done and prove it. As far as I know at least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.