Just another role for the faithful hose monkey

Happiness

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FDNY Chief of Department didn't want them to do the publicity stunt, and neither did the Engine 245 crew, or the United Firefighters Association local's president (a rarity: Chief of Department and President of UFA in agreement!)

The order, however, was from someone from City Hall. It was an order, they followed it, and thus, I, for one, say "Don't fault the crew for following an admittedly questionable order.

While Engine 245 is supposed to be one of the busiest Certified First Responder-Defibrillator Engine companies in Brooklyn, from what I am told, no medical calls came in for their service district during the half hour of the photo-op.

Ladder 161, and the Battalion Chief, which share the house with the engine, remained in service.

As noted, originally, Suzie the elephant was supposed to get a hose rinse down (from the booster reel?)while walking by the firehouse, as opposed to the engine traveling the roughly one mile distance to the circus tent. Instead, she got scrubbed by the original Nathan's Famous hotdog "stand", in the area where they have the July 4th hot dog eating contest, on Nathan's eastern exposure. That is roughly halfway between the 2 sites.

In a related history, a bit over a hundred years ago, an elephant escaped from a different circus, and SWAM across the Hudson River, at the Verrizano Narrows, to New Dorp, Staten Island. This is over a 5 mile swim, in a shipping channel!

Link to 1904 New York Times Article:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9801EFDC123AE733A25756C0A9609C946597D6CF

Seriously, was this another way for the fire department to justify their existance?

Did you read the article? The FD apparently was forced to wash the elephant. According to the article they did not want to be involved with the task. As much as we love to bash the Fire Departments, I feel we cannot do so in this case because, no pun intended, it was over their heads.

OK this wasnt posted to slam the FF so boys :shutup: I actully thought it was cute and hoped others would too. As far as Im concerned there was nothing wrong (yes I know the station was closed down by accident but shit happens) with the FF washing an elephant its good PR and you know elephants need to bath to :dribble:

In our area, the FD has been called on to do everything from pot hole patrol- (cruising the streets of their district and reporting bad streets), and even water newly planted trees and flowers in parks during a drought.

Funny, EMS units have never been asked to do such things.

( Maybe it's because they are too busy doing their jobs???)

The FD apparently was forced to wash the elephant. According to the article they did not want to be involved with the task. As much as we love to bash the Fire Departments, I feel we cannot do so in this case because, no pun intended, it was over their heads.

I bash them for whining about it.

For those of you who like to bash the FD, please send me your address. I'll come over, set your house on fire and then wait to see who you call. I guarantee it won't be EMS.

WHaa????

Nobody ever bashes fire for firefighting..... Where the hell did that come from??

How bout I come over to your house and break your leg and wait to see who you call. I guarantee it won't be the FD.

See how dumb that sounds?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.