ACLS Instructor

SA_Medic

On my last trip to the far east, I had took the opportunity to do ACLS Instructor and a few other little instructors cards. Yesterday the senior ops manager came and asked me for all the stuff cause they wanna open a training facility and need a record of all the instructors they have. I obliged and gave her copies of it which she scanned and sent on to the regional head office.

5min later she gets a mail back from the medical director accusing me of lying because "a paramedic can not be a ACLS instructor, it's reserved solely for MD's". Has things changed in recent months on this or is it just a South African thing?

Thoughts would be appreciated,

Regards

S

On my last trip to the far east, I had took the opportunity to do ACLS Instructor and a few other little instructors cards. Yesterday the senior ops manager came and asked me for all the stuff cause they wanna open a training facility and need a record of all the instructors they have. I obliged and gave her copies of it which she scanned and sent on to the regional head office.

5min later she gets a mail back from the medical director accusing me of lying because "a paramedic can not be a ACLS instructor, it's reserved solely for MD's". Has things changed in recent months on this or is it just a South African thing?

Regards

S

Got to be a regional thing there in SA brother...cause in the US there is no such ruling.

Got to be a regional thing there in SA brother...cause in the US there is no such ruling.

Thank you Sir,

It's been a while, how are things on your end of the world? This place has sure changed, I am finding it hard to navigate around. Will still play around with it though.

AM is correct. I just got my ACLS re cert from another paramedic six days ago. In fact, it was a paramedic that taught my paramedic class and gave us our original cert. You should call BS on that and see what happens.

AM is correct. I just got my ACLS re cert from another paramedic six days ago. In fact, it was a paramedic that taught my paramedic class and gave us our original cert. You should call BS on that and see what happens.

I mean AK. Spell check on the iPhone is not always a good thing.

This is absolutely NOT an American Heart Association policy. I can say this as a current ACLS instructor. Neonatal Resuscitative Program (NRP) is going through some change over with their instructors. Many medics and nurses will be unable to obtain NRP instructor status because now only people who have frequent newborn exposure can look at obtaining instructor status.

so who wants to recert my ACLS and PALS on yahoo im? lol jk

Lots of my instructors who taught these courses were paramedics. My NRP was taught by nurses, and ITLS was a RN. Only time an MD taught a class, was for a legal lecture. This must be a regional thing where you live by a pud touching medical director.

• 1 month later...

Here in NZ the Paramedics run the PRIME courses (PHTLS, ACLS, PALS and Scene management) for doctors and RN's....

I rest my case ;) I think someone was just trying to go har har har, I am in charge now.

Welcome back btw SA :)

Regards

S

This is complete Bullsh&T, as a current ACLS & PALS AHA instructor, and a paramedic, completely erroneous info! In fact, I just taught ACLS this morning, and I had Docs, Nurses, and RT in my class! Hmmmmm

The only one that is tight anymore to get is NRP, very FEW are allowed to get NRP instructor status anymore... back in the day when it was NALS it was pretty easy....

Respectfully

JW

As a follow up on this, I have now managed to convince the powers that be that I am in fact allowed to Instruct and got tasked with setting up the training facility. This however proves harder than anticipated.

I have logged 12 mails and countless phone calls to Dallas (AHA) to try and get the info and requirements to have the facility set up in such a manner that we will be AHA approved.

Does anyone know the requirements to have this done? I will be eternally grateful if anyone could help, even if it's just with a direct contact. It seems the moment they hear Africa they run for the hills and hide!