Need Drug Cards

Hi everyone. I hope this finds you all well and I also hope you're all running some fun and interesting calls these days.

I just recently started a paramedic program and am in need of a comprehensive resource for drug cards and drug info. I have to make drug cards for my class and I can't seem to find any one place that has all the info that I need. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Brentley

http://www.templejc.edu/dept/ems/DRUGS/pharmindex.html

This link should give you all the information you need. Also check out the rest of the resources there it will help you in your endeavor.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with our esteemed colleague spenac. Doing the research on your own is imperative. Everyone who has posted above has had to do what is now asked of you. While we may offer different styles of studying, the premise is the same. Write on an index card what you think is required information. Read these cards, record and listen to them over and over until you can make a new set of cards from memory. I broke my drugs up in to categories. I placed all cardiac medications together and studied them as a unit. Then airway medications. Then, well, you get the idea.

While it may seem tedious and lengthy to make out your own drug cards, the pharmacology section of your paramedic class flunks out the majority of the students in my experience. There really is no shortcut. You HAVE to know this stuff.

Information I had on my cards was;

-Drug name, Generic and trade, we use Zofran as an antiemetic. On the vial though it is called Ondansetron.

-Dosages and route of administration as some dosages change with the route ie: Torodol 30mg IV, 60mg IM

-Indications for use

-Contraindications for use

- Side effects of the medication

- Desired result of administration

Good luck with your class!

Cool. I agree with you and Spenac. RESEARCH!!!! There are many resources that you can draw from. There is program individuality on information that is requested. I ask of my students: Name of Drug (Generic and trade), Type of drug, Indications for use, Major Contraindications (all that apply), Side Effects, How the drug is supplied, Dosages (adult and peds) as well as how delivered for all specific instances, and also have the students list any other special considerations if there are any.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone. I got my cards finished (almost). I've found that as class has moved along, the list of meds that we need for any given topic has dwindled. The whole drug card exercise was beneficial though, as it helped narrow my focus during any given skill practice/assessment. FYI - We're using a McGraw/Hill book and I'M NOT A FAN!!!! We used a Brady book in my basic class and I liked their presentation of the material much better. This week and next are covering RSI and other airway management techniques.

And when you get old and lazy and do inter hospital flights across borders .... get a pda.

http://www.pepid.com/

Pepid is great, just so dang expensive!

I do like the functionality of the various bundled suites, everything anyone ever needs is at their fingertips.

• Like 1

Yea no kidding about the money, but if your 42,000 ft asl and one may have to divert to another country, state or province well it sure comes in handy and worth every penny, especially when flying out of a foreign country LDT, especially all the dang antibiotics.

I still have my hand made cards from back in the day and it IS the best way to learn as it puts the regular used drugs and doses into long term memory.

cheers

blue skys and calm air ....

• Like 1

Pepid is great, just so dang expensive!

I do like the functionality of the various bundled suites, everything anyone ever needs is at their fingertips.

I run epocrates, merck medicus and er suite on my pda and phone. They work alright but would like to get pepid too.