Is picture of person with job equipment good reason to fire someone?

spenac

Fire them?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Fire them?

• Yes
    • No
    • No harm no foul
    • What unprofessional crap

Grammar Nazi Engage!!!! *WOOOP! WOOOP!*

Chaser, when you're going to chastise someone for their grammar and spelling, you should probably make sure your own post is error free first.

umm, what is that word? missinterprit??

Miss Interprit I'm sure is a nice lady, but you didn't provide her with any corrected spelling, so the chastisement I'm sure is a lost cause with this particular chiding. If you're going to quote the misspelled word, then include the correct one, lest someone MISINTERPRET what is going on. I initially thought YOU were the author of that word before I went back through the posts. ;-) just saying...

...and the use of "to" in your sentence, it should be "too". Before you go spouting off your mouth little boy, learn your grammer and spelling.

First of all, this is really disjointed. A grammatically correct way of stating this would have been "Your use of 'to' was incorrect in your sentence, it should have been 'too.'" And I have only ever seen the word Grammer where it referred to Kelsey Grammer... the word you were searching for is "grammar." You know... that little thing that governs the English Language...

Basics first.

Then, go ahead and place labels on other people's behavior.

Look up judgemental and sterotypes while you are at it. Maybe anal, not sure myself if that is in Websters yet, it may be.

Good luck.

I don't know what a sterotype is, but you're not helping any stereotypes here... people in glass houses and so forth...

Thus endeth the Grammar Nazi Rant!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I had some long thought over this - do I think it warranted firing all the officers involved? Yes for many of the reasons already expressed. The biggest of which being that it is misuse of company (city) property. I don't know if any of you recall the incident involving the female FF who chose to pose for playboy very scantily clad within her firehouse, but I do believe she was fired for her actions. Again, for the fact that she misused city property. Also, another thing often overlooked is many city/county departments have something to the effect of a morality clause. This states they can fire you for anything that has the potential to make the department look bad or is of poor moral judgement. While entertaining, I definitely think that this fits into this category. It is for this reason many departments in our area have asked personnel not to wear their duty shirts into bars, etc (or really even off duty unless they just got off and are running errands), or to park the ambulance at hooters to eat in uniform while waiting on an out of town drop and return doc's appointment. I know of two crews that received their walking papers for this very action. I think the reckless actions of these officers and lack of thought definitely did and have an undesired effect on the public's image of them and their department. Playing a prank is one thing, but doing something of this nature is an entirely different level.

As far as the fire fighter calendar, if it is approved by the department, that is their choice, their decision as to what they have chosen to be acceptable by their department. I don't personally know of any in my area which do so for fundraising, but if approved by all parties involved, then why not? It is when you take the decisions in your own hands that problems quickly result as it did for these officers.

As a female involved in this field and someone now married to a leo I do not appreciate the "badge bunny" picture this portrays. We are working to gain professionalism within the field yet, we're going backwards faster than we can possibly take a step forward and then we wonder why people want to continue to call us ambulance drivers and pay us minimum wage? Hmmm - could it possibly be the way we perceive ourselves? Ever stop to think of that? I'm not saying have no fun, but be cautious. Make sure what you do will not have a negative effect on the public's perception of you or your department. Project professionalism and demand respect, and you'd be suprised what you see in return in people's attitudes.

In my opinion, all of the officers involved in this incident need to be fired. The 'cheesecake photo op' should have been avoided, simply because it brings a negative light to their respective departments. This is NOT a 'good image' to be portraying to the general public.

That being said, they all (either tacitly or by collusion) have actually allowed the waitress to commit the crime of brandishing a firearm. The parts of the world that I have lived in, this is a crime in and of itself.

Firearms are NOT 'toys' (I'm sure that actually went without saying), and this shows a complete disregard for public safety. Whether the weapon was charged or not, it is still loaded, and could potentially be fired in less than 10 seconds.

As far as the 'charity calendars'. If you want to have the 'beefcake' or 'cheesecake' photos taken, then do it on your own time and leave the associations to any department out of it! (This goes for Fire, Police, EMS and military!).

As I didn't really know what a PS90 was, I confirmed my suspicions by googling it. Yup, a firearm, which I now ask, could that be what the primary firearm used on Star Gate One and Star Gate Atlantis is based on?

Very good Richard. Though I was a fan of the FN P90 before they started using it on Stargate. The PS90 is a civillian legal version. It still fires the 5.7 round, basically the only difference is a few inches on the barrel and its semi-auto only. It really is a damn good gun considering its size and odd feed mechnism from the mag to the chamber.

Edited by Christopher.Collins

Eydawn said

Miss Interprit I'm sure is a nice lady

She was when I dated her...LOL

Lone Star said

Firearms are NOT 'toys' (I'm sure that actually went without saying)
Some things that "shouldn't need to be said", need to be repeated!

And, specifically to Christopher.Collins, have you ever noticed the SG teams, when firing at "Replicators", "Genii" (spelling?), "Wraith", or other bad guys of the episode, only reload their sidearms, never these PS90s or FN P90 weapons, which seem to have an inexhaustible magazine?

I am with most on here about the firing of the officers. Was it a dumb decision? Yes. Do people make dumb decisions? Of course, and these guys got caught. If this picture did not have the fire arm in it? I probably would have voted no to firing them. Maybe disciplinary action but not firing. I'm not going to lie and say I've never seen or done something unprofessional, we've all made a dumb decision. Maybe not as dumb as letting someone sit on your squad car with an assault rifle. It would be the same as if a medic let a waitress hold defib paddles to her chest or if he was pretending to give her an injection.

On a similar note of dumb decisions. Sex in an ambulance? I've heard of it happening but it was always a 'teehee did you hear' kind of thing. Despite command also knowing, no one cared. It wasn't reported. Should someone be fired for that if it was not caught or suspended or what? This is of course unprofessional behavior but what would you do if you were command and heard someone had sex in an ambulance, the person wasn't denying it (to the people they told the story to) and you had no proof. Just wondering while we're on the topic of unprofessional behavior :) (Oh in any scenario the sex was on duty, whether it was between partners or between one person and a wife/girlfriend not in EMS, or one person and a waitress (or hooker, someone they met, etc)

On a similar note of dumb decisions. Sex in an ambulance? I've heard of it happening but it was always a 'teehee did you hear' kind of thing. Despite command also knowing, no one cared. It wasn't reported. Should someone be fired for that if it was not caught or suspended or what? This is of course unprofessional behavior but what would you do if you were command and heard someone had sex in an ambulance, the person wasn't denying it (to the people they told the story to) and you had no proof. Just wondering while we're on the topic of unprofessional behavior :) (Oh in any scenario the sex was on duty, whether it was between partners or between one person and a wife/girlfriend not in EMS, or one person and a waitress (or hooker, someone they met, etc)

With proof or by admission. Fired.

I have not read yet, that further investigation reveals that ......."The deputies told Midland County Sheriff Gary Painter that they had about three to five beers each"......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32503068/

So not only were the officers using no gray matter in deciding allowing a scantly clad female holding a weapon, they also were under the influence of alcohol while using law enforcement vehicles.

So not were they stupid in one area, they had a case of dumbass in many other areas. Good riddance, such idiots should not be wearing a uniform and be responsible for guns with ammo.

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

While I cannot say for sure it doesn't happen, the only 2 incidents I know of are both in "Mother, Jugs and Speed".

1) Murdoch rapes an unconcious female OD patient.

2) Jugs and Speed have sex in the back of a Caddylance, as "Peaches", the service owner's wife, radios them to at least change the sheets before bringing the vehicle back to base.

While I cannot say for sure it doesn't happen, the only 2 incidents I know of are both in "Mother, Jugs and Speed".

1) Murdoch rapes an unconcious female OD patient.

2) Jugs and Speed have sex in the back of a Caddylance, as "Peaches", the service owner's wife, radios them to at least change the sheets before bringing the vehicle back to base.

hehe I've heard stories here about the days before GPS in the ambulance where people would be MILES outside of their stationed area to go to someones house and get it on. Or partners who were married getting it on in the back. One of which story was my old partner and his ex-wife getting it on in the back on a regular basis. Pretty sure one of their children was conceived in the back of an ambulance. Most of the stories i heard, I heard being retold in front of a command staff. Now whether or not the people above the EMS director knew (executives) I don't know. I've never heard of someone raping someone around here. I have heard of it in the news.