Paramedic Died While working Code Texas

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?91269

Texas EMS LODD (The Secret List)

Thursday, August 13, 2009 - TEXAS PARAMEDIC LODD-MEDICAL

The Secret List. www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

We regret to advise you that at about 0200 this morning, Larry Wayne Faegin 49 from Aransas Pass, a Paramedic newly hired with Gemini EMS in Falfurrias, died in the Line of Duty. While working a code he collapsed and went into cardiac arrest himself. As always our condolences go out to those affected.

Take Care-BE CAREFUL,

BillyG

8/13/09 1542hrs

The Secret List

www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

Condolences to everyone involved. This just completely sucks for A: The family with the original coded patient- how traumatic is it to have your medic die while working your loved one?! B: The paramedic's family and C: The department this guy worked for.

:(

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Condolences to all effected by this tragedy.

Not to sound callous, as I truly sympathize with all, but what a predicament for the medic's partner to be placed in. Who, do you work? I'm not sure what I would do in the situation if presented to me. Any of the more senior medics had this happen?

Condolences to all effected by this tragedy.

Not to sound callous, as I truly sympathize with all, but what a predicament for the medic's partner to be placed in. Who, do you work? I'm not sure what I would do in the situation if presented to me. Any of the more senior medics had this happen?

I was about to ask the same question. My condolences to all families involved.

I was about to ask the same question. My condolences to all families involved.

never this extreme but I had a partner who was a diabetic. I was on a dual medic truck when bam he went down. The patient was a seizure patient. Still seizing. Paramedic said "I don't feel so good" and bam down he went

Told family to call 911 and have them send another ambulance since our radios didn't work out in the boonies.

I stopped the seizure patient's seizures and then treated my partner.

By the time the ambulance from the neighboring county got there all was good but I can tell you I was crapping bricks at the time.

That's the kind of unexpected things that happen in the business. You deal with that and go on. Needless to say I was a bit shook up.

My condolences to the family and the service.

A few thoughts:

1) I'm going for a run tomorrow morning.

2) Partner's fresh dead and probably more likely to be cardioverted.

3) If it's anything like codes here there was probably a bunch of FF's holding bags and doing CPR and a cop taking notes. Plenty of help to push on the chest and bag and with the spare pads you can always swap from one arrest to the other. The code summary will be totally useless after, but you could manage. Actually, FD would probably have an AED on their truck too.

My condolences to the family and the service.

A few thoughts:

1) I'm going for a run tomorrow morning.

2) Partner's fresh dead and probably more likely to be cardioverted.

3) If it's anything like codes here there was probably a bunch of FF's holding bags and doing CPR and a cop taking notes. Plenty of help to push on the chest and bag and with the spare pads you can always swap from one arrest to the other. The code summary will be totally useless after, but you could manage. Actually, FD would probably have an AED on their truck too.

The problem with my call listed above, I had no-one else out there. We had no fire, no police just myself, my partner and my patient and family.

The problem with my call listed above, I had no-one else out there. We had no fire, no police just myself, my partner and my patient and family.

That is the way rural EMS is you and your partner. If doing good maybe patients family is helpful, but often they are just in the way.

I am not sure what type of response Falfurrias, TX gets as that is where it says he worked. Falfurrias is only about 6000 people. My guess it was just him and his partner.

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&...ge&resnum=1

Good lord, talk about the nightmare scenario. I hope his partner gets some help after that.

you can always swap from one arrest to the other. The code summary will be totally useless after, but you could manage. Actually, FD would probably have an AED on their truck too.

Turn the monitor off, turn it back on. Old code summary saved, new code summary started. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.