Can't find a job? Sue your school!

Dustdevil

Not all private, small, liberal arts schools breed responsibility-duckers.

My former classmates from Kalamazoo College are some of the more accomplished and self-reliant individuals within my age group... the folks from the bigger universities are much more likely to complain about "unfair" and piss and moan instead of acting to change things. Of course, this is only anecdotal experience, but the trend has held true so far.

It all depends on the culture of the school. Kalamazoo College, while very insular during the undergraduate career, is all about teaching people that the work you put in is directly related to the benefits that you reap. Networking and global consciousness are highlighted skills...

Other small schools just breed "I'm better than you simply because I went here" attitudes with a lack of self awareness.

Just saying!!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Not all private, small, liberal arts schools breed responsibility-duckers.

My former classmates from Kalamazoo College are some of the more accomplished and self-reliant individuals within my age group... the folks from the bigger universities are much more likely to complain about "unfair" and piss and moan instead of acting to change things. Of course, this is only anecdotal experience, but the trend has held true so far.

It all depends on the culture of the school. Kalamazoo College, while very insular during the undergraduate career, is all about teaching people that the work you put in is directly related to the benefits that you reap. Networking and global consciousness are highlighted skills...

Other small schools just breed "I'm better than you simply because I went here" attitudes with a lack of self awareness.

Just saying!!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Like I said, half kidding.

More of a comment on higher education in general than anything. Besides places like Oral Roberts, universities aren't exactly known for being conservative think tanks.

There is a certain aura for someone who attends a school like Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, or University of Chicago. An education at places like this cost more than a family home. That is truly insane. If I was paying 120K+ for an undergrad degree, I think I would want a promise of a job too. LOL

The "everyone gets a ribbon, no one is a loser" generation meets the real world.

Dust is that in corallation with No Child Left Behind? I dont know if that was just a Connecticut or not but basically no recess, more books more tests to make the lazy kids look like they are doing more while simultaneously putting an excessive work load on kids that actually do their homework?

Nah, I don't even know what "No Child Left Behind" is. Just all the feel-good crap in the public schools these days, where they can't have field days unless everyone gets a ribbon, because they don't want anyone to feel like a loser. So everyone thinks they are entitled to be given everything they want in life without working for it.

Of course, another part of the problem is that we keep feeding people the big lie that college is their key to success in life. We've cheapened the value of a college degree now. And since everyone thinks it's their key to a good paying job, they get all pissed off when they find out that there is zero market for their Liberal Arts, or other such pointless degree. They think that just any old degree is going to work for them, and they put no effort into actually having a career plan.

We're going to see this even more often, I believe.

We're going to see this even more often, I believe.

Totally agree with your comments except this one. Unfortunately college these days has gotten ridiculously expensive- even for state schools.

The days of being a professional student, taking 6 years of philosophy classes and contemplating your navel are over. College students are a lot more focused in their studies, and basic liberal arts degrees are probably becoming less common. It makes sense- if I'm spending 30K, 40K, 50K or more for a degree, I want to be sure I end up with a marketable degree, if not a marketable skill. More than ever, students are taking advantage of junior colleges and transferring to a university to finish their degrees simply because it's the most economical way to do it.

It's sad- when I finished college, my debt was 10K and I thought that was a fortune back then. It still took me 10 years to pay off that loan.

What you said about entitlement is dead on, though. These kids simply cannot accept the fact that there are NO guarantees in this world- college degree or not. Based on what our president and his party have been pushing, I'm afraid they are doing nothing more than encouraging more of the same type of thinking. Not good...