August 9, 1945

paramedicmike

bunch of pu**ies ------- you realize how many of you would have never known your grandpa if it wasnt for the bomb -- do you realize how many of you panzies would have never been born

While I agree with the underlying message, I don't agree with its delivery.

I did a paper on Truman's decision to drop the bomb in high school. If we would not have dropped the bombs, the war probably would have lasted at least another year or two, costing about 1 million American lives.

The right decision was made.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone mentioned we had enough material for more nuclear weapons. Per a bunch of stuff I read, we only had enough for the Trinity test, and the Hiroshima and Nagasaki weapons, at least in the summer of 1945.

Now, I admit that things found on the Internet might not be true, despite appearing on the Internet. With that in mind, I have read information and heard stories that there was a possibility of either an actual test, or accidental detonation, of an atomic weapon a year before the Trinity test, in 1944.

This incident, if true, happened in Port Chicago, a US Navy ammunitions port in California, across San Francisco Bay from Oakland and San Francisco.

I simply am providing the link, and have no guarantee of the veracity of what is presented at the site.

You, the readers, be the judge.

http://djkuba.tripod.com/index-9.html

While I agree with the underlying message, I don't agree with its delivery.

I did a paper on Truman's decision to drop the bomb in high school. If we would not have dropped the bombs, the war probably would have lasted at least another year or two, costing about 1 million American lives.

The right decision was made.

I never disputed that the right decision was made. I also know the wholesale destruction and death that an atom bomb brings.

The decision to drop it was good but it's not one to take lightly. I think the A-bomb is one of those weapons of last resort and if all other options were explored and used and the a-bomb needed to be dropped then by all means drop the sucker and go on.

But to wholesale advocate to drop the bomb on Iraq, or Iran or Israel or whatever country that we have a conflict with just because we can and just because we have the bomb is a stupidly ludicrous statement to make.

My grandfather did not serve in the military nor did any in my family and for that I make no excuses but to make a statement that had we not have dropped the bomb on Japan when we did then none of us would know our grandparents is a blanket statement that is wrong.