Allergy to Diphenhydramine?

akroeze

Has anyone heard of someone being allergic to Diphenhydramine?

I had an allergic reaction case yesterday that became anaphylactic immediately after I administered IV Benadryl. I know the far more likely case is that that is coincidence and the patient just chose that moment to go anaphylactic from her bee sting, but just wondering if it is possible?

Full details here:

http://newacp.blogspot.com/2009/08/nasty-anaphylaxis.html

I had an allergic reaction case yesterday that became anaphylactic immediately after I administered IV Benadryl. I know the far more likely case is that that is coincidence and the patient just chose that moment to go anaphylactic from her bee sting, but just wondering if it is possible?

Full details here:

You know my friend Murphy of Murphy's Law. He just has a knack for showing up when you least expect or want him to.

I think it's just coincidence that it happened at the same time you gave her benadryl.

You know my friend Murphy of Murphy's Law. He just has a knack for showing up when you least expect or want him to.

I think it's just coincidence that it happened at the same time you gave her benadryl.

I've had people tell me they were allergic to it, but never saw evidence of it.

There is a rare adverse reaction to benadryl (not the dye). It is characterized by seizures. Unless your patient went into seizures, I would say the development of anaphylaxis was coincidental to the administration of benadryl and not an effect.

I had a patient once that stated he was allergic to Benadryl - fortunately I wasn't treating him for an allergic reaction nor did he have one to anything I gave so I was safe. However, there would have been a definite pucker factor had I needed to give it and been unable too ! Sorry you ended up in this situation !

Full details here:

Yep I can tell you that it is possible and it does happen. Not sure if mine was due to the benadryl or the dye in the benadryl but either way it does happen and from what i was told its not well. I dont remember much of what happened so I cant tell you that part.

Yep I can tell you that it is possible and it does happen. Not sure if mine was due to the benadryl or the dye in the benadryl but either way it does happen and from what i was told its not well. I dont remember much of what happened so I cant tell you that part.

Sure that wasn't the scotch? ;)

I have only heard of allergy to the dye. But I guess we could get the dye free give it to itku2er and see what happens. Trust me I'm a Paradork. :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.