EMT-B National Test (info please?)

Not really looking for specific questions or anything as I am more concerned with how the test is set up. I've talked to people who have taken it in the past and they all say its easy. Thats great and all but how is it set up? Is it broken into sections like Airway, Pedis, Assessment, or is it just question after question?

Any info at all would be great. I'm taking my test next week and i'm feeling pretty confident. Thanks guys.

Not really looking for specific questions or anything as I am more concerned with how the test is set up. I've talked to people who have taken it in the past and they all say its easy. Thats great and all but how is it set up? Is it broken into sections like Airway, Pedis, Assessment, or is it just question after question?

Any info at all would be great. I'm taking my test next week and i'm feeling pretty confident. Thanks guys.

To begin with, there is nothing 'easy' about taking a National Registry exam. To score well you must read each question and answers multiple times and come up with the 'best' answer. National Registry has one of the toughest testing formats there are so I would suggest you obtain a test practice book from a reputable publisher and practice.

On your question of how is it set up. There will be questions from each category, but they will not be together. They will be randomly put together in an adaptive test based on the answers you give to the previous questions. No tests are the same and the questions are presented according to your personal knowledge level. As soon as your competence level is determined by the computer, the test will end.

Take a look at this link for more information:

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/downloads/CBT-CAT.wmv

Hope this helps. Good luck!

rescuer NREMT-P, CEP

People always say that test is hard. I thought it was a breeze. Frankly, I was disappointed at how easy it was especially after all the hype.

Having recently worked at the local NR test site (for the practical skills assessments); yes, the practical skills section is broken down into 'stations'.

I got to speak with several of the proctors, and they pretty much all said the same thing: "We're not here to fail anybody. We're only here to guage your knowledge in this field."

I know they have a trauma assessment station, a medical assessment station, spinal immobilization station and an airway station. I'm pretty sure there's a CPR station, and I think there's a pediatric station as well.

I haven't seen the actual written test site, but have been told by several people that they were driving themselves insane worrying about the fact that it was a CBT (Computer Based Test) for nothing. The went on to say that it wasn't as bad as their imagination percieved it to be....

Having recently worked at the local NR test site (for the practical skills assessments); yes, the practical skills section is broken down into 'stations'.

I got to speak with several of the proctors, and they pretty much all said the same thing: "We're not here to fail anybody. We're only here to guage your knowledge in this field."

I know they have a trauma assessment station, a medical assessment station, spinal immobilization station and an airway station. I'm pretty sure there's a CPR station, and I think there's a pediatric station as well.

I haven't seen the actual written test site, but have been told by several people that they were driving themselves insane worrying about the fact that it was a CBT (Computer Based Test) for nothing. The went on to say that it wasn't as bad as their imagination percieved it to be....

I probably should have mentioned that I am testing in Rhode Island. For those of you who do not know we are a very weird state when it comes to EMS. Instead of EMT - I we have a cardiac cert which is like 90% paramedic with 30% the training. Also as far as the practical goes, it is grouped into our class. The only thing we need to do after successful completion of our class is pass the computerized test.

I probably should have mentioned that I am testing in Rhode Island. For those of you who do not know we are a very weird state when it comes to EMS. Instead of EMT - I we have a cardiac cert which is like 90% paramedic with 30% the training. Also as far as the practical goes, it is grouped into our class. The only thing we need to do after successful completion of our class is pass the computerized test.

Remember this: It's not the medium of the test (computer based, written, oral) that matters. It's the same information either way. What you should be concerned with is the content of t he knowledge.

From what I've been told, the computer asks progressively harder questions based on your previous answers. If you miss a question, it 'backs down' a little bit and brings you back up to the 'next level'.

Don't make the mistake that many others have before you; and assume that because you only answered 60 (random number) of questions, that you've automatically failed. Once the computer has been able to determine your level of competence, it ends the test.

I'm currently in GA, and they have the following levels:

EMT-B

EMT-I

EMT-CT (Cardiac Tech; I'm not sure if they're even testing/licensing this level any more)

EMT-P

There are very few services that will hire an EMT-B, and if they DO, you'll only be a 'chauffer/gopher'

ya Lone is right. From what I saw and heard from others the test ranges from about 60 questions to about 200. Unless you are completely bombing the test you actually want a lower number. Of my classmates those of us that were stopped around 70 passed. A few were taken up to alittle over 180 and they failed.

This is not a sure fire why to see if you passed/failed the test but it does give a good level of personal confort.

The best advice I can give you is take your time and read everything. Read all the answers even if your sure the first one you read is right. I know on my test I couldn't go back to fix an answer and there's a couple that I answered alittle too fast and realized it right after I clicked, "next".

ya Lone is right. From what I saw and heard from others the test ranges from about 60 questions to about 200. Unless you are completely bombing the test you actually want a lower number. Of my classmates those of us that were stopped around 70 passed. A few were taken up to alittle over 180 and they failed.

This is not a sure fire why to see if you passed/failed the test but it does give a good level of personal confort.

The best advice I can give you is take your time and read everything. Read all the answers even if your sure the first one you read is right. I know on my test I couldn't go back to fix an answer and there's a couple that I answered alittle too fast and realized it right after I clicked, "next".

Ok, I'm gonna piss some people off on this comment but hey, I'm working a crappy shift so I'm gonna do it any way.

If it takes you 180 to 200 questions to prove your competence or knowledge base then are you sure you really know the material? You might want to consider studying a little harder next time.

I took the NR test a number of years ago in the written format so I'm not familiar with the computer test but who knows if I could pass the test now being I've not studied for that type of test since then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.