A TV commercial against tax evasion (featuring EMS)

kristo

I saw this on TV tonight, kind of got me thinking. Basically, it shows an ambulance bringing a patient in to an ER. The ER staff takes the patient, it's all very dramatic, they roll into the hospital, everything looks like the public perceives an ER, they roll into a trauma room and trauma room, well, not up to standards. The commercial ends with text asking the viewer if it's his/her part that's missing.*

A good idea for an ad, very striking. Plus, they used an actual Reykjavík FD ambulance and it's crew (I know the EMT-I (yellow background on the star of life patch) featuring in this one).

If you'd like to take a look, it's a short video and can be found here: Icelandic anti-tax-evasion commercial featuring Icelandic EMS

Don't worry, it doesn't include any significant dialogue, the Icelandic text in the end is simply the "Is it your part that's missing?" described above.

* I'm not trying to start a discussion on social healthcare, but in order to understand the context, I'd like to remind you that we have a single-payer system here for healthcare, including EMS.

Edited by kristo

I don't get it.

You see Chris, in some parts of the world we have publicly funded health care. That means hospitals depend on a share of the public purse to provide their funding; that is an allocated share of the total tax revenue is ear marked for them. If due to tax evasion the public purse has less money available the government is left with two options: deficit spending, or cost cutting. (or both) This commercial is showing how the end result of that might be bad and how the individual tax evader should feel both guilty and worried. It's less of a joke and more of an announcement that serves the public; Public Service Announcement if you will.

Or maybe your local trauma/resus room looks like that?

/sarcasm. ;)