Littman Models 3000 and 3100 Electronic Stethoscopes

Hello friends. Hope your all doing well.

As I break back into EMS I am seeking a new scope and having used and loved the cheapest scope in Littmanns lineup (the Lightweight) I dont think I will ever go to another brand. I am considering an electronic scope in part because of its claim for ambient noise cancellation, and sometimes I just have a hard time with lung sounds.

I am just curious as if anyone owns either model and what they think of it vs. an accoustic scope? I know a couple people who have sworn by them but they are kinda the popularity bandwagon types. I know they come with a hefty price but have found a site that offers them for $259 (3000) and $299 (3100) which seems fairly reasonable http://www.allheart.com/littmannscopes.htm...id=yahoo_ssp_bd

Pros and cons would be great as well as just overall feedback on what you think of yours or if you have used someone elses.

Thanks and as always stay safe.

Edited by Christopher.Collins

I've never used them , but recently heard a Doc complaining about his electronic scope. he said it was picking up unwanted bowel sounds (while listening to the Chest). It was a new scope , so maybe he wasn't using it properly.

I've never used them , but recently heard a Doc complaining about his electronic scope. he said it was picking up unwanted bowel sounds (while listening to the Chest). It was a new scope , so maybe he wasn't using it properly.

I have heard the same thing. Hearing road noise and a creaky ambulance box over the lung fields is not something I am willing to chance for the amount of money these things are.

I have a littmann master classic and it works great.

If I NEED to hear lung sounds while travelling down the road, to guide my treatment, then I tell my partner to pull over! Then I shut off the heat/AC and listen away.

Manage your call in the best interest of the patient, even if it means sitting on the side of the road listening to thier chest.

Edited by mobey

I've had the same cardiology III for a decade. I haven't really had any problems hearing lung or heart sounds even in the ambulance rolling down the street. It has soft-seal earpieces that really help to block out noise.

I've never heard ANY good things about the electronic scopes.

I tried my coworker's for a day and man, it seemed awesome!

It's the first time I've ever heard heart tones clearly, you can explore the lungs to the point where I almost felt like I was looking at a picture of what was going on. You can get unwanted sounds, (bowel/cot) but if so, you simply push the little volume button until you get the range of sound you want and it works like any other steth, in my opinion.

One day was enough time to find a bunch of positives, but I'm not sure it's enough to really ferret out the negatives, just sayin'...

But anyway, there you have it in a nutshell.

Dwayne

Bowel and lung sounds at the same time? Damn, I bought the wrong scope since apparently the electronic ones can pick up the 'surgeons point.'

I have no idea what this means, but "surgeon point" sounds interesting. Explain?

Dwayne

I got a Littmann Electronic Stethoscope Model 3000 and it has been collecting dust for some time. I have found that the ambient noise reduction to suck especially in the field. Any move from the stethoscope produuces a sound like rubbing a mic. I will be sellimg mine, so if you are still interested let me know.

Edited by speedygodzilla

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.