Who has better equipement and training USA or UK

I am too and not buying that .. ILCOR pretty much sets the ALS standards for the world and cardoversion and "weld at will" is a standard in London anyway.

UK don't cardiovert prehospital, and that includes LAS. "Treat the symptoms" is the treatment of choice for any and all symptomatic tachycardias. Doesn't seem to be causing any major issues.

Any citable references to the contrary, as it is pretty hard for me to prove a negative?

UK don't cardiovert prehospital, and that includes LAS. "Treat the symptoms" is the treatment of choice for any and all symptomatic tachycardias. Doesn't seem to be causing any major issues.

Any citable references to the contrary, as it is pretty hard for me to prove a negative?

I still think it's bonkers .... I knew we needed more practice working cardiac arrest, so is that how the UK gets it? :lol:

No our resus rates suck, even in hospital ... we should look to more "preventing arrests"

As for UK protocol links

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/research...ite/guidelines/

See cardiac rythum disturbances for treatrmen of narrow complex tachcardia.

Although some modification of the guidelines may be required by individual ambulance services, and approved by relevant local clinical committees, to ensure they respond to the health requirements of the local community, the majority of the guidance is universally applicable to NHS ambulance services. Modification of the guidelines may also occur when undertaking research sanctioned by a research ethics committee.

Whilst these guidelines cover the full range of paramedic treatments available across the UK they will also provide a valuable tool for ambulance technicians and other pre-hospital care providers. Many of the assessment skills and general principles will remain the same. Those not qualified to Paramedic level must practise only within their level of training and competence.

http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/als.pdf

Well what do you know I can't even find SVT or treatment of unstable narrow complex Tachycardias .... I guess the Brits left that out of there guidelines I dunno really.

cheers

• 5 weeks later...

We carry amiodarone for cardiac arrest. Some services also use it for treatment of wide complex tachycardia under PGD (patient group directive). We don't carry lidocaine any more. (Well we do where I work, for the EZ-IO). They are also looking into Adenosine (about time too!) but every thing takes an age in this dump of a country. Cardioversion is apparently going to be a critical care paramedic thing only. As for pacing, it's in our guidelines but I don't know anyone who is doing it. I'll just stick to using my fist.

I agree with scott, stick the the best of both together and you wont go far wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.