ambulance companies checking driving record

Far all Paramedic jobs I've searched they say they check your driving record. When they do this are they checking the MVR that shows your current infractions and points on your license due to things like speeding tickets, or do they check the CLUE report that shows all the collisions/wrecks you have been in?

Well, I know we have not hired because of a driving record.

As Gordan Graham says:

"Past performance predicts future practice"

If your reckless in your POV, why wouldnt you be in something you dont own. and if you wreck it, and you have a horrible record, even if it wasnt your fault, it looks very bad and enhances liability for the services end.

I ask because I've got 2 speeding tickets from 2006 and I had a string of bad luck resulting in 3 wrecks in 2007. They should be off my record by the time I'm done with medic school but the CLUE report shows all my wrecks on there that I had to file insurance claims for.

Around here the general rule with places you care to work is no more than 3 points on a license and no more than one wreck within the preceding 3 years. DUI and other serious infractions such as suspended driving, etc automatically disqualify you. Minor stuff like registration, etc tend to be overlooked especially if dismissed. Also, there are things here called "shelf tickets". These are a speeding ticket that you might receive but do not receive points for and if you have not had a ticket within the last two years and do not receive another within 6 months is dismissed and you pay nothing. Essentially it is as if you never got the ticket. If you do get another ticket, then you pay both tickets and get double the points on your license. Not all counties do this, but those that do, it's a handy little thing. My last service if an employee received a shelf ticket, they were put on probationary driving status during the period and if they received another they lost their driving privledges for 6 months. Any serious infraction and they were terminated. Also a consistent history of accidents etc was looked at on a time basis and record since. For example if you had two wrecks five years ago and no tickets or anything since you would probably still get hired if you were best qualified. If it was last year, you probably would not. Granted we also had a 25 to drive rule which eliminated the typical 21 and under stupidity.

However, there are a variety of dump services around here that will hire anything including anything that is 18 and has a pulse regardless of whether it has a valid driver's license or not (yeah there's been more than a few pegged that were driving ambulances on suspensions). It just depends on what you are willing to work. Give it time and no serious infractions and you should be just fine. Around here checks run between 5 and 7 years back.

Most states today use the NCIC system which has drivers records back 11, yes eleven years,

Speeding tickets & moving violations will show , and crashes will only show if you were issued citations. Your record from other states will also be there .

Moving violations and property loss accidents might tend to make an insurance company not want you to be an operator and that is what will decide if a company hires you.

DUI's & criminal speed will also get you rejected by most reputable firms risk management dept's.

As dust stated, it varies place to place, but if you wonder why, check this out:

http://www.naemsp.org/documents/characteri...ancecrashes.pdf

It is an 11 year study of fatal ambulance crashes, that pretty much proves if you have alot of violations you are more likely to be involved in a serious accident.

As far as not hiring due to driving record, I turned down several over the years --- My thoughts are that if you can not follow traffic law, then you will probably not follow my laws (policy & procedure) --- and of course, studies have already proved that these people would probably wreck my ambulances at some point. And of course, I would never hire someone with a DUI.

** As far as your specific record, with that much on your record, most good private companies will not be able to hire you, because their insurance will not write you. Obvioulsy as a Paramedic, you could be hired as a non-driver. Your best bet is to probably go with a municipality, as most governments are self-insured, or have insurance companies that are more liberal. I would suggest taking a defensive driving course, as most of the insurance companies that might consider you will demand it anyway. And it might help to improve your driving skills (3 accidents and 2 tickets in a two year period is not bad luck, it is bad driving).

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.