TRAUMA - show

Tee

Seeing some old posts about shows I just had to bring the news...

Trauma, a show about Paramedics based out of San Fran. is set to air this Fall on NBC.

Previews look good, but I guess we'll have to see about its actual longevity.

Another show, Miami Trauma, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer will also come to TV's soon.

What an interesting Fall season this will be.

Bruckheimer's show has a shot. He's a really good writer/director. Hopefully he was smart enough to grab a LOT of consults to help him with accuracy!

--Wendy

Looks like it'll be the EMS version of CHiPs, with lots of explosions and melodrama.

It's a good time to open an EMT patch factory in NorCal! The wannabes will be rolling in by the hundreds every month.

Have you SEEN the trailer?

The Miami one actually looks like it might end up as a decent show. The San Francisco one seems like it's trying to show off paramedics. You're going to run out things to show off pretty quickly, whereas the Miami is more of an ER setting and you can get into a lot of topics and interpersonal relations and dramas.

Both shows have consultations with competent EMS/trauma personnel, but reality often gets thrown out because the non-real way looks better. Gotta find a right balance...which I think the Miami show has a bit more of.

I think if we want good representations of Paramedics on tv, it won't be on an "EMS Show." Best bet would be for a character in another show to be a Paramedic and just be represented as a competent professional without any of the cowboy antics or "you don't know what it's like out here on the streets" stand-offs with the powers that be. Wouldn't even need to be a medical show.

Or a Scrubs or MASH type show. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit.

I think if we want good representations of Paramedics on tv, it won't be on an "EMS Show." Best bet would be for a character in another show to be a Paramedic and just be represented as a competent professional without any of the cowboy antics or "you don't know what it's like out here on the streets" stand-offs with the powers that be. Wouldn't even need to be a medical show.

Or a Scrubs or MASH type show. I enjoyed both of them quite a bit.

My wife does not believe me when I try to tell her that Scrubs is a much better actual representation of life in a hospital than ER... but it's true!

I saw this post on another forum,

My opinion was as follows:

1. Yes its a good for entertainment value

2. It will give people a respect for EMS

but

3. coming from a medical standpoint, it looks kinda hoax-y... I mean, a guy comes to and he still has his OPA in his mouth. Either that guy has no gag reflex or something supernormal with his anatomy.... and whats with all the helicopter crashes>? I don't remember San Francisco having so many helicopter crashes in the last few years... let alone 1 season.

Amusing, but non realistic in some respects....

other opinions?

and whats with all the helicopter crashes>? I don't remember San Francisco having so many helicopter crashes in the last few years... let alone 1 season.

That's because there are no helipads at the hospitals in SF and that includes its trauma center. In fact at every community meet where the trauma center and another large hospital system had wanted to get support for a helipad, crashes were mentioned. Those who favored the helipad reported very low instances of this happening although they may have to change their stats on that after the past two years. However, those that oppose will get to see exactly what they have been talking about and their worst fears displays on TV even though it is fiction. Also, CA usually two member helicopter crews so they don't need the mother's assistance to cut her kid's throat open. The helicopter crews are usually RNs since the Paramedic scope of practice is rather limiting in CA. So for those that live in CA, this is more like a dream or their fantansy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.