Charlotte Mecklenburg EMS

Mparham02

I have been to their website and would like to know what it is like to work there and live in the area. I am im Portland Oregon. The website make everything look good, I would like a street medics perspective.

I have been to their website and would like to know what it is like to work there and live in the area. I am im Portland Oregon. The website make everything look good, I would like a street medics perspective.

Well, I get around, "hear things" , and I hear a fair ammount of good and not a lot of bad....so anectdotally and overall its probably a top 10% agency, and third service, but again it is still in North Carolina... :)

Did you look at Wake County EMS (NC), another very good EMS system.

In regards to the state, I'm born and raised and lived here all my life. It's a great place to live but obviously I'm biased. I've got the mountains a couple hours to my west and the beach a few hours to my east. There's plenty to get into and lots of great places to live in and around Charlotte. It's typically hot and humid in the summer and cool and dry in the winters. We usually don't get much more in between, it's either one or the other and here lately is seems like we skip spring and fall all together. I can probably go on and on but if you want any specifics just ask and I'll see if I can answer your questions.

In regards to the EMS agency, it's good place to work. It's extremely busy, they utilize system status management and you earn every penny. They do both 911 and non-emergent calls for the entire county of Mecklenburg. They are very aggressive in terms of education, they have probably one of the best, if not the best simulation center for EMS in the country. They have an on-site cadaver lab that provides some excellent training opportunities. They have an internal paramedic program that is the way to go if your an EMT looking to go through paramedic school. You get a great education and are paid to obtain it, you can't really beat that. The employees work 10.5, 12 and 14 hour shifts and there is typically a shift starting and ending every hour of the day. Again I can keep on going with it all. I hope this helps some...

ncmedic

How about rain, snow and ice? Do you know if they do any evert coverage? How is the overtime there? How is the management?

We get our share of rain, not like you guys out west though. We don't see much winter weather - a snow storm with 2" of the white stuff is a major event - it usually shuts down all the schools and sends everyone into a state of panic. They do event coverage as well, just depends on the venue. The OT as of late had dwindled due to budget cuts but here lately it has returned to normal meaning there is plenty of it to go around, especially for the parmedics. The mangement is better than it has been, but could still be better. I'll just leave it at that...

• 2 weeks later...

I too am looking at relocating to NC from Sol. Cal.. I currently work as a flight medic, but really would like to work on the ground again with a well respected and progressive 3rd service agency that will not be overtaken by the fire dept. I am glad I found this forum as everyone is supportive of each other, positive, and willing to share info in a non competitive manner. If anyone can be more specific from a street medic's perspective about MEDIC in Charlotte regarding pay (hourly rates), shift start/end times, overtime opportunities, and overall contentment within the agency I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your replies.

TBS

Charvetta Ford-McGriff (704) 943-6089.

Honestly, you need to call this lady. Charvetta came to speak with my paramedic class last year. She absolutely wants anyone who is interested in MEDIC (Mecklenburg EMS Agency) to contact her. She is more than happy to anwer any questions.

http://news.ncems.org/employment.htm#MEDIC

This is the employment page for NC EMS. There is an add for Mecklenburg EMS Agency.

Edited by Mateo_1387