Paramedic Bashing in La Belle la Province !

tniuqs

Paramedics prepare for strike

THE GAZETTEJUNE 26, 2009

Paramedics and ambulance technicians across the province are getting ready to go on strike.

This comes after the health ministry's decision to waive a new scale-pay system, to start as of July 1, for paramedics who do not have a paramedic collegiate diploma.

François Trudelle, president of Quebec's Fraternité des paramédics, argues all ambulance technicians have the same work qualifications, regardless whether or not they have a diploma. He also said service is already at the basic requirement making it impossible to reduce services, however Urgences Santé might request no more non-urgent phone calls.

Quebec's Essential Services Act prevents paramedics from work stoppage due to labour negotiations. The Fraternité is considering a rotating strike.

© Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

Wait a minute... This strike is over not getting raises secondary to not having more education? The government is finally giving the paramedicine world the kick in the arse to make it a legitimate profession... and they are striking over it? Boy... doesn't this fly in the face of all the emtcity.com grandstanding about education is the only way? We get a chance to make the dream happen and we are not willing to step up?!?! Go get the degrees that the government is asking of you and lead the way for the rest of the world's desperate EMT's and Paramedic's need for substantiation.

This situation could be the tipping point for bringing EMS out of the bastard step-child role and prove to an entire nation that you are true educated professionals that need to be looked at the way Doctor's and Nurses are looked at... with similar pay strategies.

Lead the way Canada! Fine neighbors to the North... If you can pull this off... then in maybe 10-15 years we might see something come of it... or are you really just looking for the quick buck? If that's the case... STRIKE brothers and sisters! Strike!

This issue they want to strike over seems more that they have medics that attended very similar programs, same education, only School A can give a diploma and school B cannot. That would make it rediculous to cut the pay of providers that are missing the papers

Boy... doesn't this fly in the face of all the emtcity.com grandstanding about education is the only way? We get a chance to make the dream happen and we are not willing to step up?!?!

I will never understand the Quebec / French Canukistanians .... ever .... ok accept for french chicks are hot .... :lol:

this excerpt was pulled from out of the blue to try to gain an understanding of what is happening east of Ontario ... I am still at a loss.

What I do see across Canada is an essential service "theme" that attempts to dictate and control and does seriously infringe on rights to organize, as without national solidarity or even common standards of care nationally we will spin our wheels in the snow forever ......

cheers

This issue they want to strike over seems more that they have medics that attended very similar programs, same education, only School A can give a diploma and school B cannot. That would make it rediculous to cut the pay of providers that are missing the papers

That is a silly argument... My degree at ITT tech won't get me the job over your degree at MIT... I should have chosen a better school that is recognized by employers and society alike. Students need to make informed decisions about their education, and should know the possible ramifications of their choices.

That is a silly argument... My degree at ITT tech won't get me the job over your degree at MIT... I should have chosen a better school that is recognized by employers and society alike. Students need to make informed decisions about their education, and should know the possible ramifications of their choices.

Its hard to justify that without looking at all the other factors. I work with a couple people who are taking their ACP with distance learning just because they cant afford to take the 2ish years off and second, the only ACP school in Saskatchewan is in Regina, I work over an hour out of saskatoon in the wrong direction. So yes choosing a better school is a good idea, just not always a possible one. Besides generally if your going to ITT tech and spending 3 times what you would have at a real university, theres probably a reason (like not being able to get into a real university)

• Like 1

Its hard to justify that without looking at all the other factors. I work with a couple people who are taking their ACP with distance learning just because they cant afford to take the 2ish years off and second, the only ACP school in Saskatchewan is in Regina, I work over an hour out of saskatoon in the wrong direction. So yes choosing a better school is a good idea, just not always a possible one. Besides generally if your going to ITT tech and spending 3 times what you would have at a real university, theres probably a reason (like not being able to get into a real university)

Just because you feel like you are in an unfortunate situation, does not negate reality. Many people rise above their perceived limitations to get hard things done. Going to a quality school even though it is more inconvenient would fit into that category. When you go to a lesser school you know what you are getting into... if not... as you said, you can not get into a good school anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.