Michael Jackson has died

akflightmedic

Looks like we've broken our 'one agreement' streak man...

Nah, it ain't over yet my friend!

I'm not venturing into the whole world of 'did he do it/he didn't do it'...

I'm just saying that while it's perfectly acceptable to look up to someone for being able to do what we cannot, or being the best at what they do; but for cripes sake...let's stop acting like they (the celebrities) were either close personal friends or family!

Yes, Michael Jackson touched alot of our lives with his music; I'm not trying to diminish his accomplishments. I can remember watching MTV just hoping for Thriller to come on.

Take when Dale Earnhardt died. Yes, I felt bad for his family in their time of grief (just as I do for the Jackson family), but let's face it...life WILL go on!

When Earnhardt died, I had a friend call me on the phone, in tears. I immediately thought something had happened to his mother (whom I personally knew). Imagine my disbelief that all the wailing was about a race car driver......

He called me 3 days later (again in tears) because the funeral was on television. Could we be carrying the whole idolatry thing just a little 'too far'?

So a pedophile who is entertaining has value to society because they provide amusement, and therefore should be given free pass?

*puke*

That's exactly what I was getting at. America has sold its soul for a few good grooves and good times...

Who said anything about a free pass?

We're talking about the hype after death.

Honestly, I don't even watch TV, but I'm already tired of seeing him on the tube when the TV's on at the dinner table at work. I've gone off on the pedophile aspect a number of times.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that he as a single person has been EXTREMELY influential to modern day society. He IS part of our culture and there was a sudden loss of it, so it makes sense people will be shocked and pay attention to how their lives were influenced by that culture and his music. Doesn't mean I wouldn't find him as guilty as the next, though.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by AnthonyM83

Could we be carrying the whole idolatry thing just a little 'too far'?

Here here!

When my fiance mentioned another Michael Jackson death related tidbit to me today, I didn't even look up from my computer and said; "I don't fucking care." It didn't go so well after that.

So a pedophile who is entertaining has value to society because they provide amusement, and therefore should be given free pass?

Nope. But I have no proof that he was, and neither do you, so I give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Could we be carrying the whole idolatry thing just a little 'too far'?

Absolutely. Society as a whole has an unhealthy obsession with fame. You have people like Paris Hilton who are famous just for being famous, and nothing else! But I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to lament the loss of an icon in their life on the day of his memorial service.

Edited by Dustdevil

Am I wrong to feel that MJ's personal physician is incompetent?

How does a not obese 50 year old just die?

Absolutely. Society as a whole has an unhealthy obsession with fame. You have people like Paris Hilton who are famous just for being famous, and nothing else! But I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to lament the loss of an icon in their life on the day of his memorial service.

I don't have a problem with the public exhibition of grief, but to adopt the mentality that the world should stop turning because we've lost Dale Earnhardt, Michael Jackson, etc.?

I'm talking about the general masses that would just as soon beat you into oblivion for telling an 'off color joke' about their god/goddess/hero/idol et al.

I've actually seen a local stock car driver beat the living hell out of someone for making the comment, "You drive like you want to be the next Dale Earnhardt."

If someone were to make some 'off handed' remark about your recently departed mother, by all means, stomp their head in; but don't bloody well act like you and (insert celebrity name here) (whom you've never met); are Budweiser swillin', skoal dippin', outhouse sharin' best buddies!

But what had he done for us lately? The last what 10 years just rumors about health and comebacks, mixed with a few accusations. No new powerful songs or dance moves.

But what had he done for us lately? The last what 10 years just rumors about health and comebacks, mixed with a few accusations. No new powerful songs or dance moves.

Not sure what that has to do with anything?

The influence has been done. The culture has already been affected.

Lack of anything new doesn't change the past or how people grew up listening to his music.

'Dustdevil' date='Jul 7 2009, 06:16 PM' post='218719']

But I have no proof that he was, and neither do you, so I give the man the benefit of the doubt.

I must absolutely agree, those with celebrity status seem to have become targets for smear campaigns, guilty until proven innocent, just how does one fight that ?

BUT the sad part is that of his children's loss and at such very young age ... after all is said and done he was a Father and was loved by his children.

RIP

BUT the sad part is that of his children's loss and at such very young age ... after all is said and done he was a Father and was loved by his children.

And that is exactly what he's done for us in the last ten years.

The most important thing he's ever done.