Michael Jackson has died

akflightmedic

Now that they're televising the funeral 'celebration gala event', it's time to 'fess up and publicly admit:

1) How many of you out there in forum land tried to get tickets to attend in person?

2) How many of you out there in forum land sat glued to the 'boob tube' and watched it?

For the record, I didn't try to get any tickets and I didn't watch it on TV......

I wouldn't have gotten tickets as massive crowds aren't my thing, but would have certainly watched it on TV, if I watched TV...

Despite the rumors and innuendos he was one of the most popular and talented entertainers of all time, I'm not even a little bit embarassed to admit I wouldn't mind paying homage to that.

Looks like we've broken our 'one agreement' streak man...

Dwayne

I didn't miss a moment of it. I have no problems admitting that I had a great deal of respect for MJ on many levels. He was an undeniably tremendous entertainer with an artistic vision that was simply genius. In a world of musical pigenonholing and genres, where every artist sounds like the next, he was truly one of a kind. Not only did he never imitate, he never could be imitated. I enjoyed the opportunity to be at least a distant spectator for this event.

RIP Michael. You're done with the haters.

If you've worked with sex offenders and have watched even 15 minutes of Michael Jackson television footage, you'd have to be an idiot to completely discount the rumors surrounding his scandals. No, I cannot pass final judgment... but I can't say that I argue with our system that requires several proofs of innocence... this is the protection of children we're talking about here.

Several things about Michael Jackson, media fluff aside, have led me to draw the conclusion that he was probably sexually inappropriate with children. I agree with Anthony on the whole "if it walks like a duck..." idea.

Body language. Reactions to questions. Behavior around children. The children's behavior around Jackson (including his own kids). Take some time to just watch different clips, and see what it all looks like. To me, it looks like a very smooth pedophile or pre-pedophile using a lot of misdirection... but then again, I've been trained to recognize grooming and to recognize the difference between "nice" adults and groomers... and it is a very difficult distinction to make until you've been educated...

We know Michael Jackson was severely abused by his own father during his childhood rise to fame- that sort of thing is often a huge causative factor in developing aberrant behavior patterns in individuals... damage to the psyche can really lead to scary things. Of course, it's not a 100% causation, but it is a common bit of history seen in individuals with sex offender tendencies.

Michael Jackson was a talented artist, yes... but chew on this for just a little bit. I'm having a bit of an issue with all of this media overkill and the canonization of at best, a decent musician...

If someone accuses a priest of molesting a child, and the Vatican ponies up for it to "go away" regardless of guilt, people decry the Church and demand blood-penance and excommunication. People abandon their own parishes, because they feel they can't trust churches anymore.

If someone accuses Michael Jackson of molesting a child, and he ponies up for it to "go away" regardless of guilt, people line the streets and hold vigils for his freedom and mourn him as though he had actually done something worthwhile, like curing cancer.

Can someone explain this to me?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Now that they're televising the funeral 'celebration gala event', it's time to 'fess up and publicly admit:

1) How many of you out there in forum land tried to get tickets to attend in person?

2) How many of you out there in forum land sat glued to the 'boob tube' and watched it?

Could have. Maybe could have asked to be put on one of the RA's assigned to the event if I really really wanted to be around that. But instead, I slept :)

Hopefully we can now return to real news. I am tired of trying to see what is going on and getting 20-25 minutes of MJ and no real news. He is just another human and to focus so much for lack of better term worship on him is ridiculous. I hope his family and friends are able to now get some quite time to actually mourn the loss. If any of the accusers he had were telling the truth I hope they now find peace that he can not harm them again.

As to tickets if I had applied for them and gotten them I would have found a way to make money from them.

Edited by spenac

If someone accuses a priest of molesting a child, and the Vatican ponies up for it to "go away" regardless of guilt, people decry the Church and demand blood-penance and excommunication. People abandon their own parishes, because they feel they can't trust churches anymore.

If someone accuses Michael Jackson of molesting a child, and he ponies up for it to "go away" regardless of guilt, people line the streets and hold vigils for his freedom and mourn him as though he had actually done something worthwhile, like curing cancer.

Can someone explain this to me?

Simple. Musicians have redeeming value to society. Priests don't.

So a pedophile who is entertaining has value to society because they provide amusement, and therefore should be given free pass?

*puke*

That's exactly what I was getting at. America has sold its soul for a few good grooves and good times...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Simple. Musicians have redeeming value to society. Priests don't.

When you consider how many priests, heck, religious leaders of many faiths, have been accused of sexual molestation of children in the last few years, it does diminish redeeming values to society.

Musicians have, by reason of their music, worldwide access, especially if a bunch of people say that a particular song speaks for them.

Springsteen's "Born In the USA" is a complaint about the lack of jobs, racial relations, and the lousy economy, yet, as it is screaming "USA", President Ronald Reagan practically adopted that song as his theme song.

Sometimes, it is the real Spin Doctors (not the musical group) who turn the stuff around: Detractors of Idi Amin, now deceased Dictator of Uganda, published true information on numerous children of his born out of wedlock. Amin (or the spin doctors) turned it into just how physically strong and vital he was at that time, or else how could he be fathering all those kids?