Animal Advice Hotline

mshow00

Is there a 1-800 number one may call when you get a 9-1-1 that involves an animal? I ask because I had a call the other day where an 8 year old boy got bit by his "pet" turtle. I think it was a snapper, and I had no idea how to make the turtle let go of the kids finger. We ended up transferring the kid and the turtle to the ER, where the Doc gave it some Vecuronium, needless to say the turtle let go. It got me wondering if there was some number that I could have called to get some, or any, advice. I tried calling 4-1-1 for local and county animal control, but only got the humane society after hours; and my Internet search afterword proved equally fruitless.

Any help would be great thanks in advance.

PETA will be callng soon and demading the doc apologize to the turtle for sedating it.

I don't know of a number unless you call a vet's after hours emergency number. What the doc did would be logical to do in the field. A little diazepam should have done the trick. At least I assume it will work on reptiles.

What's a safe dose for the turtle? I don't think I would care. If two or three mg gives it respiratory depression, I'm not doing mouth to mouth.

We do utilize the humane socitey after hours number. Also, PD is used to address the issue of out of control pets (have even had the problem of a majorly overprotective service dog - situation was not pleasant for all involved). Typically though dispatch would ask if there were pets involved and if so have the person put them up if possible. As far as bites and "latched on animals" like your turtle friend here, I would consult med control or develop a relationship with a local vet that you can call after hours regarding sedation and separation. Hopefully that would assist you some. Oh and as far as PETA - it stands for a most appropriate thing - people eating tasty animals - enough said.

I've had turtles.. Not to sound like a hick from the boondocks or anything, but when I was a kid, a big thing to do was own a turtle to take to "Turtle Races"... PETA would just love that. :P Most people will say, that when a turtle latches on, you should cut it's head off.. But that could scar the kid even worse than the bite - which can be pretty bad. You have a few choices, more or less, someone is going to get hurt. The victim, or the Turtle. See, they don't have any teeth, but their beak like thing is kinda like a pair of tin snips, I'm sure if they got a good grip, they'd take a chunk or a part of the finger off. You could just sit.. and wait. Once you leave him alone, he'll probably let go once he doesn't feel dangered anymore.. Try blowing air (o2) in it's face, to make it hide in the shell. or.. Kill it. If you don't have any drugs to sedate it that is. Now the bite. You gotta disinfect the hell out of it, b/c some turtles have toxins; or can pass along some really nasty infections and diseases. Irrigate and carefully scrub at the same time. Yeah, it's gonna hurt, but that's life and the only way to clean a wound.

The people who make those little field guides, Informed, sell an animal version. Maybe you could keep one on hand in the station, near a phone. Doubt it will have anything on turtles. Call a vet; or Dept. of Waters/Streams/Fish Commission/Etc.

http://www.informedguides.com/index.cfm?ev...uide%26trade%3B

Edited by 4c6

Thanks for the help kinda what I was figuring... on a side note: some(most) of th ER staff was pissed that the Dr. did that. A couple of nurses put it in the Docs Lounge fridge to slow its metabolism in an attempt to keep it alive, as far as I know the effort failed.

Thanks for the help kinda what I was figuring... on a side note: some(most) of th ER staff was pissed that the Dr. did that. A couple of nurses put it in the Docs Lounge fridge to slow its metabolism in an attempt to keep it alive, as far as I know the effort failed.

If they are so pissed at the doc, then perhaps they should offer a better solution. It's a turtle for Pete's sake. It's an animal that's biting a human child. People need to get a grip on reality.

You say it's just a turtle??? PETA released a press statement to President Obama when he swatted a FLY on television, asking him to take a more humane approach to dealing with the common house fly...

I'm all for treating animals properly but you have to draw the line somewhere!

I'm all for treating animals properly but you have to draw the line somewhere!

PETA's line is one place, yours, in another, and I have not decided where mine is. All I can say is, let's agree to disagree. And disagree we will, all over the place.

And add the old blame-shifting line...

"Why were the parents not supervising the child, allowing the child to get into the situation in the first place?"
Edited by Richard B the EMT

You say it's just a turtle??? PETA released a press statement to President Obama when he swatted a FLY on television, asking him to take a more humane approach to dealing with the common house fly...

Well.. A fly is an animal, technically.. But I think we can do with out a few here and there.

PETA's line is one place, yours, in another, and I have not decided where mine is. All I can say is, let's agree to disagree. And disagree we will, all over the place.

If in fact you are suggesting that there should be any delay whatsoever in removing the animal from the child's finger in an effort to be more humane to the animal, then yes, we will disagree strongly.

No animal ever comes before the welfare of a person. Period.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.