Reckless Driving/DUI and becoming an EMT

Hello. I was arrested this last week for a DUI. I know stupid but it was after 6 beers over a few hours. I got caught speeding and the police officer smelled beer. I took the breathalyzer test I blew a .09. I am in the process of trying to get it reduced to reckless driving instead of the DUI. I am starting EMT school in August and I am wanting to know if you think that I will be able to become certified as an EMT after I finish the course? I would also appreciate any opinions as to whether or not you think I will be able to find a job after I finish the course? Thank you.

Clark

Edited by Clarkw75

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll probably have a hard time getting any job requiring you to drive an ambulance as you generally need a clean record. a DUI doesn't look too good to most employers as we are public service people and need to be able to set a good example. I know a big part of my job is speaking to kids about NOT drinking and driving, I would find it morally difficult to stand in front of them if I had done the same thing I was lecturing them not to do.

Why not stand up and take responsibility for your lack of judgment instead of trying to lessen the charges??

I am not fighting the fact that I was in the wrong. I am just fighting the actual charge to try and lesson the effect on my record. I already have 2 jobs and if I have a DUI then I will not be able to drive to work or to school because of the license revocation for 1 year. I know it was a stupid thing to do. I am also not fighting that. I am not happy with myself for the dumb decision I made but I have a clean record with no other marks against me and I am just wondering how bad this is going to mess me up. Thank you for the response.

DWI. Reckless. Doesn't matter. Nobody is going to hire you to drive. At least, no reputable agency is going to. And you wouldn't want to work for those that would. Sorry.

Probably the best thing that ever happened to you. It may cause you to grow up. And better yet, it'll keep you from making the mistake of becoming an EMT, which isn't really a real job anyhow.

Good luck.

Ditto to Dust's comments. As an employer, I can assure you the Insurance company will turn you down no matter what the technical charges were.

A life learning but costly experience. We have to deal with the results of drinking and driving, as well as those that understand what you do on your day off is your business but it can affect your career. One has to be responsible.

R/r 911

May I recommend instead of becoming a EMT, try being a EMD . As is we drive dangerously in our everyday job, its inevitable. Everyone here that drives an ambulance does whatever it takes to ensure that as we are running code, it is done as safely as humanly possible. But when those lights and sirens are kicked on liability, and a chance you could be in a wreck increase greatly. People don't pat attention, and then you hit them or they hit you. Some states say that running lights and sirens does NOT give you the right to push people out of the way or have people stop for you to go through an intersection. They are viewed as courtesy lights and say to proceed with due regard. Meaning, if you blow through an intersection lights and sirens, the lights red, you proceed through and somebody hits you. Your At Fault. They may get a ticket for failing to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle, but you get cited as well.

It takes alot of sound judgement to do this job whether you are doing patient care or getting the patient to the hospital. And everybody at one time or another has had a lapse in judgment. But with this job its critical this is minimal and that everybody goes home safely. As said earlier you may find it hard for the next 5-7 years to get on with a ambulance service because they run background and driving record checks.

Another thing I would do before paying for your EMT class is to call the state health service that governs EMS to see if they would even certify you after having that charge on your record. It would suck if you invested the time and money into EMT school just to find out the state will not allow you to practice EMS due to the charge on your record.

Major respect to wrmedic82 for that reply. Offering constructive alternatives beats a simple yes or no answer any day.

An EMD is an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. The job is not necessarily available everywhere. After all, there are a lot fewer dispatchers than ther are field personnel. But good ones are hard to find. And the best ones are also trained as at least EMTs, if not paramedics. It is a place where you can get your foot into the door and prove yourself, as well as get valuable experience in the system, without necessarily being excluded by your driving record. That's not to say that everyone would hire you. Many don't hire anyone with a record, regardless of whether they drive or not. But if you can, this would be an excellent opportunity for you, and probably also put you in a position to ride with crews regularly to develop your EMT skills.

Some agencies don't even require EMT, and will just train you in-house. Some require ten years as a paramedic just to dispatch. It varies greatly. But especially the small towns have trouble finding qualified people with the aptitude for it, and end up settling for empty-nest hausfraus that don't have a clue. Someone who actually has training and interest in the emergency services is refreshing to have behind the radio and telephone. Go ahead and get your EMT. Right after that, find an EMD training class somewhere. Start looking at http://www.naemd.org/ for info. My personal feelings about the EMD concept aside, it is unfortunately still a national standard, so it is very valuable to have the certification.

With an EMT card, EMD certification, and good resume, and good interviewing skills, and a little luck, you can land a dispatch or 911 call take position close by and bide your time constructively until the heat has passed. While you're biding your time for the next couple of years, you can attend paramedic school, which takes a minimum of two years of full-time college, and usually at least three for most part-timers. Then you'll be ready to enter the field at a professional level, and not just as an ambulance driver, which is all an EMT is.

This can work out for you, Bro! If you have the maturity to set a course on the steady-as-she-goes straight and narrow, and not get in an immature hurry, you can be a paramedic three years from now, have three years of clean driving record behind you, three years of steady employment in the emergency services behind you, and a nice resume to put forth. No, it's not the fast track to minimum wage glory that a three week EMT course is, but it's a real career and a real chance to pick yourself up from a set-back.

Of course, all that said, I have to second the caveat that you need to IMMEDIATELY call (as in a real telephone call, not e-mails or web searches) your state licensing authority to make absolutely SURE that this will not keep you from being certified. A DWI may well. A reckless may too, but less likely. If your attorney postpones long enough, you may even be an EMT before you get the conviction, but then the same question comes up with the state, whom you must notify. So again, call them and lay it on the line before you shell out any money for a course that will get you nowhere.

Best of luck!

Here in Iowa when you register to take the EMT Classes, regardless of the level, they do a search for any and all driving violations, accidents, dui, felonies, whatever. One person in our class 30 years ago got into trouble with the law and he got probation, he had to go back to the origional state and county and get copies of all records, court and probation to show he had completed everything. He then, because he is in good standing with local law enforcement, got a letter from the Sheriff himself as to his good standing as a citizen of the county, other wise he would not have become the EMT P he is today. So many people do not realize how a DUI, and or reckless driving can affect a future job. But it does. Not only if one has to drive, but it also proves poor judgement on the individuals part.

Call the state department of health or whatever regulatory agency in the state you live and see what they have to say. The elite members of this forum are in the know and are not sugar coating their words when they tell you that you may have a big problem.

Every call we have on the interstate I worry about that one driver who really is not paying attention or had just a couple of beers and goes whizzing by everyone and rolling right up the ass of our ambulance endangering no only my life and those of the crew but the patient as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.