DUMBEST THING EVER HEARD ON THE RADIO/SCANNER

THE_DITCH_DOCTOR

You started CPR on a known DNR for the benefit of the daughter? I don't know if local protocol in your area says so, but using mine, if CPR is started, it continues until physically unable to continue, relieved by equal or higher trained personnel, or until told to stop by an MD.

I am going to hope I misread that CPR was started, and then discontinued while enroute to an ED, without On Line Medical Control's authority.

You started CPR on a known DNR for the benefit of the daughter? I don't know if local protocol in your area says so, but using mine, if CPR is started, it continues until physically unable to continue, relieved by equal or higher trained personnel, or until told to stop by an MD.

I am going to hope I misread that CPR was started, and then discontinued while enroute to an ED, without On Line Medical Control's authority.

Difference in protocol for sure.

We did not START CPR, the daughter had started before our arrival. Our protocol on DNR is we start CPR till a DNR paper is in our hands then we are authorized to stop.

The DNR was given to us when we arrived so we had 3 choices.

1. Tell the daughter to stop, and deal with the consequences.

2. Continue beating on this guy till we hit the hospital 10 mins down the road.

3. Continue CPR till we got to the rig to satisfy the daughter, then follow the wishes of the patient and cease all efforts.

We chose #3

What would you have chosen if you had the same protocols as us?

As I understand the combination of American Red Cross, American Heart Association, NYC REMSCO (Regional Emergency Medical Service COuncil), FDNY and NY State Public Health Law protocols, laws, and practices, here in NYC, choice 2 would seem to be the only option.

Mobey, could you please try to post your state, county, and departmental protocols in regards to this matter? Just comparing notes, for your locality, what you did might be allowable, where as already noted, here by me it ain't!

If only I could remember anything specific from hearing someone that was on VOX accidently and didn't know. :roll:

I have a few funny/ stupid things that I have heard on the radio over the years ...

A59: "A59 to dispatch, can we get the address again?"

Dispatch: "A59, the address is 11111 xx Street."

A59: "A59's okay."

About a minute later:

A59: "A59 to dispatch, numbers only."

Dispatch: "One...one...one...one...one!"

~~~

XXX High School, 250 YYY Drive -- investigation for the possible mascot on fire near the stadium.

~~~

AAA Intermediate School -- emergency service call for the child locked in a locker.

~~~

Dispatch: EXXX, we are receiving several calls, we believe you have a mower fully involved!

~~~

Dispatch: A711 and E711 respond to XXX YYY st for the sick person infront of the 711. (you could hear the roaring laughter in the background!!)

more to come if i there is want/desire

---I am a student and my comments and replies should be taken as such and not that of a practicing medical provider. My words and thoughts are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of the educational institute I am associated with nor that of my fire department.---

As I understand the combination of American Red Cross, American Heart Association, NYC REMSCO (Regional Emergency Medical Service COuncil), FDNY and NY State Public Health Law protocols, laws, and practices, here in NYC, choice 2 would seem to be the only option.

Mobey, could you please try to post your state, county, and departmental protocols in regards to this matter? Just comparing notes, for your locality, what you did might be allowable, where as already noted, here by me it ain't!

Orange County, CA has a similar DNR protocol as Mobey's given his post. Resuscitation is started until a valid DNR is produced. Once a valid DNR is produced then resuscitation can be stopped without contacting medical control. In addition, we have a few nice quirks.

1. Family can override a DNR order at anytime.

2. Immediate family (adult children, siblings, spouse, parents, domestic partner) can request that EMS withhold/withdraw resuscitation at any time. (page 3, section E, subsection 3 of the link at the end of the post).

3. Any disagreement among family, concern about who is family, or concern about DNR validity results is resuscitative measures pending base hospital contact.

DNR protocol, PDF format. http://www.ochealthinfo.com/docs/medical/e...mp;P/330.51.pdf

Two years in a row we heard traffic from a near by town that a kid had his tongue stuck on a flag pole. We thought, "Surely NOT". But they were ligit. calls.

Two years in a row we heard traffic from a near by town that a kid had his tongue stuck on a flag pole. We thought, "Surely NOT". But they were ligit. calls.

That reminds me: Did Ralphie ever get that air rifle for Christmas? And someone keep his brother away from that flagpole in front of the school!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.