DUMBEST THING EVER HEARD ON THE RADIO/SCANNER

THE_DITCH_DOCTOR

One transmission I'll never forget is that of a call in on the Trauma radio. We were listening to the call up regarding an individual that was unresponsive. The nurse asked if the patient responded to painful stimuli. The medic (who was not known for his brilliance in the first place) stated "we've slapped the patient a few times, but he didn't wake up". Let's just say we didn't know to laugh or what.

Had an interesting one the other day. My partner was teching and I was driving.

Dispatch: Medic XX, what's your location?

Medic XX: Main and State Streets

Dispatch: Clear, Medic XX. I need you to start to YY hospital for an ALS transfer.

Medic XX: Negative. We have a patient on board.

This was the point I turned around to make sure we still had a patient. I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things!

-Kat

A call of mine a few weeks ago...

Dispatch: Medic 2 respond echo for 76 y/o male in cardiac arrest

Me: Roger dispatch, Medic 2 responding

Dispatch: Medic 2 you are responding to #### **th ave. Caller states Pt. has Hx of ALS and cancer and has a DNR. She has started CPR.

Me: Does the caller realize DNR means no CPR

Dispatch: Roger that Medic 2, Caller states she is the daughter of the Pt, she helped him complete the DNR yesterday, but she feels he didn't mean today!!

Dispatch: Roger that Medic 2, Caller states she is the daughter of the Pt, she helped him complete the DNR yesterday, but she feels he didn't mean today!!

Civilians! Can't live with them, can't go up side their heads!

A call of mine a few weeks ago...

Dispatch: Medic 2 respond echo for 76 y/o male in cardiac arrest

Me: Roger dispatch, Medic 2 responding

Dispatch: Medic 2 you are responding to #### **th ave. Caller states Pt. has Hx of ALS and cancer and has a DNR. She has started CPR.

Did you guys end up running the code?

It wasn't on the radio, but, we had someone call in saying that someone "fell out". A guy (Randy) who had just moved from up north answered the phone. Randy kept asking the caller "what did he fall out of". The caller just kept repeating the same thing. Since being from the north and from a more urban area, Randy was not familiar with someone "falling out" was another way of saying someone "passed out". After they went back and forth about four or five times, we were out the door and left Randy behind. I don't think appreciated it that we left him and as we were leaving, we were laughing and giggling our butts off. Some may say that it doesn't sound too funny, but it was one of those things that you had to be there and heard them going back and forth.

It doesn't matter what of the 16 points of the compass you come from! Youze guyz already know I'm from Noo Yawk Ciddy, and woik dere, yet, when I was in da old pre-merger EMS, and woiking in EMD, I had to have dat one explained to me, too. Da patient and family waz born and raized Bronix (Bronx) people.

(Deliberate misspellings to imply NYC regional speech patterns. Ya gots a problem wit dat?)

Did you guys end up running the code?

Well it probably wasn't the best choice I have ever made... But we basically put on the monitor and continued CPR till we got to the rig, then stopped. No tube, no defib, no IV, just CPR and BVM till we got out of eyesight.

The daughter was VERY insistant on us working him. I dunno if it was the right call to make or not, but I believe if the patient would have wanted us to make it as easy on his daughter as possible even if that meant we bang on his courpse for a few mins.

Well it probably wasn't the best choice I have ever made... But we basically put on the monitor and continued CPR till we got to the rig, then stopped. No tube, no defib, no IV, just CPR and BVM till we got out of eyesight.

The daughter was VERY insistant on us working him. I dunno if it was the right call to make or not, but I believe if the patient would have wanted us to make it as easy on his daughter as possible even if that meant we bang on his courpse for a few mins.

I guess you could say... When in doubt, do it. By no means was it a bad choice

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.