DUMBEST THING EVER HEARD ON THE RADIO/SCANNER

THE_DITCH_DOCTOR

I think I am going to have to get back to you on that one. To the best of my knowledge, that only takes effect if and when there are multiple agencies and jurisdictions operating the same incident, and having to share radio frequencies not normally shared by these multiple agencies.

Evidence of this is, I am aware of a nearby VFD actually has a signal indicating the bridge over a waterway is open to allow a ship through, and another one has a signal to have their vehicle that distributes refreshments (donuts, coffee, tea, or lemonade) respond to an extended operation.

The 10-13 signal, in my area, is a distress call requesting the PD, or immediate assist to PD respond when it is the PD itself making the request ("10-13! 10-13! Shots fired and my partner is down!"). I know in other areas, the 13 is either asking for traffic conditions, or a weather report!

That is why 10 codes were to go away. To many variations. Lets all speak in clear simple english so we all get the message. If your service still uses 10 codes tell the boss they are in violation of rules passed after 9/11 and I say they suck if they don't change. :D

Exactly my point.

A new dispatcher was checking warrants for an adjoining state and gave them our code for "not wanted." In their jurisdiction that code means "wanted and dangerous." Luckily the other dispatcher confirmed what she said using plain text, and the mistake didn't make it to the officer. But that could have been a dangerous mistake!

There really isn't even a need for 10 codes in LE. The few criminals who own scanners know what the codes mean. I may give you the code for a bank alarm, and they may not know that, but when they hear the banks address, that should sure be a tip off. Even the general public know what the codes are. We have people call 911 "I want to report a 10-55(drunk) or Signal 23 (speeder).

The only think codes are good for are brevity in situations. Even then, In Service is only one more movement of your mouth than Ten Eight.

There are only 4 codes I believe are really appropriate on the LE side here:

10-27 Drivers license check

10-28 License plate check

10-29 Wants and Warrants check

And the code that means Is the person we are about to talk about standing right next to you?

The three ten codes, really are the most useful as far as brevity goes.

The fourth is useful for the guys who radio is audible to the person they are next to, and we are about to tell them something if they overheard could make them very agitated.

I can't think of any code for fire that is worth anything.

From my readings of handouts from APCO, the Association of Professional Communications Officers (I think that is the name, anyway), the history of the "10-Codes" began as a way to, indeed, keep radio transmissions short, sweet, and to the point, and keep the radio "air" open and available for more transmissions.

Nowadays, with Computer Assisted Dispatch systems having capability to transmit entire pages on a particular assignment directly to either a mini-printer or computer screen in a specific ambulance, fire company, or LEO Patrol Vehicle, perhaps the only time direct communications between agencies, now known collectively as "Inter-Op", would be necessary would, as I have already posited, in a multiple agency response to a large scale Multiple Casualty Incident.

We are already aware that the FDs, the EMS systems, and the LEOs all have different "codes", and similar agencies, even in neighboring towns, counties, cities, provences, states, or even countries like the US and Canada or Mexico, might not match up in these codes.

Therefore, at least when there is a multi agency response in progress, "plain-speak", as opposed to "code-speak", should most definitely be used. If the response is strictly within any one specific agency, no radio chatter between the FDs, the EMS systems, and the LEOs, at least there, I see no problem continuing using "code-speak".

We actually discussed in the chat room last night. DHS would pefer for codes to go by the wayside, BUT, they don't care if you use them. As long as it is intaragency. When people say "ABOLISH TEN CODES PER NIMS!!!!!!" it is wrong. DHS issued whatever it is they issue saying as long as there are no other agencies involved in the response, codes are ok. But once other people start playing too... then... 10-8 goes 10-0.

We actually discussed in the chat room last night. DHS would pefer for codes to go by the wayside, BUT, they don't care if you use them. As long as it is intaragency. When people say "ABOLISH TEN CODES PER NIMS!!!!!!" it is wrong. DHS issued whatever it is they issue saying as long as there are no other agencies involved in the response, codes are ok. But once other people start playing too... then... 10-8 goes 10-0.

I work in a setting that covers mulitple states and 10 codes are a head ache for me. Case in piont I filled in an extra shift in the Indiana region where as I normally work for the area covering Arkansas and Oklahoma. 10-22 means cancel in one state but means something different all together in another. Signal 22 means car reck then in Indiana I do good to completely understand what the heck they are saying much less what it means.......

Then, there is a story told me by a former partner.

Seems when he listened to a scanner, prior to entering a VFD/VEMS (Volunteer Fire Department/Volunteer Emergency Medical Service), he would hear a cancellation of a LEO response, and thought it was a "step it up!" type call. He'd hear "Re-Direct," and think it was to go "Red-Direct" (L&S) to the original call, as in light up the red lights and proceed directly to the call

• 3 weeks later...

Squad 415 Medic 98 respond for report of child with sore throat from singing parents requesting to expidite. Please re read that one again

or this one

Eng 1 Eng 3 Eng 501 Eng 502 Truck 10 Ladder 110 Heavy Rescue 24 Squad 14 Medic 1083 respond to (don't recall location) report of a toaster on fire.... do you really need 4 engines 2 ladder trucks a Heavy Rescue ambulance and Paramedic for someone who can't make toast

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.