DUMBEST THING EVER HEARD ON THE RADIO/SCANNER

THE_DITCH_DOCTOR

Enroute to a T-Bone MVC with entrapment...THe first Responders called to us with a pt report, obviously excited. They reported that we had 2 pts, one still entrapped and one that had been ejaculated by first response team. I nearly ran the ambulance off the road.
Now THAT'S funny!

But I *do* care who you are...to stay away... :)

On a multiple county dispatch frequency.

Lackawana County dispatching **EMS. **EMS BLS job for you 1234 XXXX in (Private Community). Responding for the 15 y/o male, pulled the foreskin back on his penis and it is now......... stuck. Repeating..............

well that dispatch frequency is used by 2 different counties that are right next to eachother so EVERYONE heard this. i was at the building at the time for a work night and every member was dying from laughing so hard

one of my personal favorites on a single company frequency

Headquarters: Headquarters dispatching EMS-1. EMS-1 respond...........

EMS-1: EMS-1 to headquarters, received and responding. (in the background you can hear the theme song from ghostbusters)

Headquarters: Headquarters received. ECTO-1 responding at...

When we asked our dispatcher for a chief complaint again, they told us our patient has a case of...get this, " boloney-itus"!

Could that have been caused by an overdose of "Peanut Butter Balls?" (a mispronouncement of Phenobarbital)

An "unknown medical" had been dispatched. this brings a large response, BLS unit, ALS unit or medic chase car, maybe an EMS supervisor if available and an engine company. BLS unit arrives on scene. After a few minutes dispatch, wanting to know if all responding units were still needed asks for status from on scene unit.

Their response to what is your status: "We have a driver and 2 EMT's." About wet myself!!

Telephone call from doctor's office to ER I heard when doing my clinicals. The phone was answered in the ER by my preceptor (on speaker).

CALLER: We have a code in Dr Xxxxx's office.

ER: Yes, ma'am?

CALLER: Can you come get him?

ER: Please call 911. We don't do take-out.

- - - - -

Took about thirty minutes to get the patient to the ER; the people in the doctor's office wouldn't let the EMS crew have the patient. Was about a half-block from the ER.

Took about thirty minutes to get the patient to the ER; the people in the doctor's office wouldn't let the EMS crew have the patient.

ExCUSE ME? They WOULDN'T let the EMS crew have the patient?

Here in New York City, if a patient needs an ambulance, anyone standing in the way of the responders, Certified First Responder-Defib Fire Fighters, EMTs, or Paramedics, trying to deny the patient their medical care, will be arrested by the NYPD for interfering with (an) emergency crew(s).

I smell a large lawsuit, at least as per my NYC sensibilities, against the doctor's office. I figure Wrongful Death, Manslaughter, Malpractice, and perhaps some that you can come up with that I don't know about!

ExCUSE ME? They WOULDN'T let the EMS crew have the patient?

Here in New York City, if a patient needs an ambulance, anyone standing in the way of the responders, Certified First Responder-Defib Fire Fighters, EMTs, or Paramedics, trying to deny the patient their medical care, will be arrested by the NYPD for interfering with (an) emergency crew(s).

I smell a large lawsuit, at least as per my NYC sensibilities, against the doctor's office. I figure Wrongful Death, Manslaughter, Malpractice, and perhaps some that you can come up with that I don't know about!

I was just reading this in our local protocols...

If called to a Dr.'s office, they are the highest level of care (Assuming an RN or Dr.) and control the patient until released to EMS. They can release, or not, or ride in with the ambulance, if I remember right.

If there's an issue we're to call med control and let the Docs sort it out.

Dwayne

Dwayne is correct. As the information came to us, the doctor involved (and, I assume, the doctor's staff) was working the code when EMS arrived. The doctor continued working the code for some time before releasing the patient to EMS for transport to the ER.

Technically, the doctor was providing a higher level of care than EMS. However, in this case the patient needed to go to the ER (even higher level) stat. To do that, either the doctor had to turn the patient over to EMS or go along with them to the hospital.

Sometimes "higher level of care" isn't the BEST possible care. Possibly another thread, but even someone with a LOT of training, etc., who hasn't done something often (or recently) should let someone with more experience (and possibly less formal training) do the work.

How many of you have been in an ER where the nurses - and possibly the doctors as well - would call for the paramedic working there (those where a paramedic is on the ER staff) to do a particularly tricky stick? The paramedic may not be the "highest trained" but is probably the one with the most experience in doing sticks under less-than-optimal conditions.

Shouldn't the standard be "best interest of the patient?"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.