Motorcycle Season

nikipoo

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/06...8a060532511.txt

Once again it is that time of year. This article is close to me as my father has had this same person do this to him. Lucky for him he knows the driver and knows to watch HER and not to count on her to watch him. I know all three involved in this. It has been said before and will be said a million more times START SEEING MOTORCYCLES, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Considering she's done it at least twice(that we know of) I have to wonder if she's one of those that think it's funny to "fake out" a cyclist. I used to go to school with a girl that bragged about doing that kind of thing. It just sounds a little ironic that twice she would just so happen to change lanes at the moment a motorcycle tries to pass. Did your dad report his run in with her? If so, they will hopefully see that and realize she didn't learn anything and could probably use some jail time. This time she managed to kill someone and seriously injure another.

On a related note, I don't think the problem is just with motorcycles. I don't know how many times I've seen people just glance at their mirrors and change lanes. Even my jeep has been caught in blindspots and i've nearly been sideswiped. I think the problem is with people not taking the extra couple of seconds to look over their shoulder before changing lanes.

No my dad didn't report it. And this gal is just plain DUMB. Should have never got DL in first place.

Maybe if he reported it, she wouldn't have one and would likely be charged for it.

I have been riding motorcycles for a long time. The problem is not so much a driver in a car. There are multiple blind spots for them, and being on a bike only makes it harder for them to see you. The responsibility is on the rider. To be mindful of their surroundings and other drivers. I ride safe, and I never expect anyone else on the road to act the same.

Vehicle drivers, regardless of the vehicle, all have a responsibility to themselves and others to take appropriate steps to assure their safety and the safety of others on the road. I forgot to mention on my previous post that not only should we always look over our shoulders, but also never float next to another vehicle. This should probably go double for motorcycles and very small cars like Miatas. You're just very difficult to see at that point. Adjust your speed to put a gap between you, even it means you have to slow down for a few moments.

As this is a terrible accident and the driver has history. I do curse at one thing about motorcyclist is that they are at times hard to see. Lots of them have dark colored bikes and wear black leather. I personally have a hard time seeing them. Now the fact that the biker was trying to pass the vehical says the driver of the car didnt do a look see and should be held full responsibility. Everyone that use the roads are responsible for safe driving. I would like bikers to wear hight vis vests at all times along with helmets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.