Dealing with rural EMS

John

EMS systems in rural areas usually have less money to begin with due to the limited number of people under their care, but they have to travel long distances to help their patients.

Should more money be spent with on Rural EMS? I meet with leaders in EMS last week at a Rural EMS conference. Many states and nations are dealing with rural health issues....and the solutions seems to be a community paramedic.

How about communities with populations of thousand where the regional trauma center is a Level IV that is two hours away and the a Level II is 4 horus away? (NW and SW Colorado)

Actually, that would be considered "frontier" vs. a rural setting. I believe we need to adress all these areas and try to develop more advanced protocols for medics as well as better communication & funding. Televideo/Telemedicine links should be looked at and be explored.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

• 3 weeks later...

How about the need to sustain Para-medicine in rural areas where it is needed maybe(?) the most!

Without frequency of calls both #'s and the amount of really sick or critical Pt's can a paramedic get or even maintain his or her skills. To burden the systems even more, the rural populations are paying top coin to maintain the little services that they have. Now how can they afford the increased cost of supporting a paramedic system when most can't even justify it at the intermediate level. the income is simply not there... I know that para-medicine works but what can we do to sustain it in the backwoods. Without funding and with our lack of call volume.... any solutions

The funny thing is that all the "Flatlanders" AKA "city-folk" come up here and expect a "PARAMEDIC" if they get hurt... oh well that's what they get for watching to much Rescue 911 or Third Watch

Local systems can not afford the cost.. a regional system would make more "cents" but the local small volly squads DON'T want to give up their little areas of control....

Frustrated yes I am ...

Several years ago, EMS systems had a "trading places" program. Basically, small rural areas would send their medics into the metro area and the metro would send their medics into the rural area.

The rural area medics was able to practice their skills, and see a different side of short transport & high volume of calls. Where the metro medics had a different experience of long transport times and having to expand their education & skills for the additional medications and procedures. They also found out it was not less stressful as they had thought awaiting a call, but a change in pace did do them good. Both learned to appreciate each others positions.

Maybe this program could be re-instituted again, and expand our professional growth.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Several years ago, EMS systems had a "trading places" program. Basically, small rural areas would send their medics into the metro area and the metro would send their medics into the rural area.

The rural area medics was able to practice their skills, and see a different side of short transport & high volume of calls. Where the metro medics had a different experience of long transport times and having to expand their education & skills for the additional medications and procedures. They also found out it was not less stressful as they had thought awaiting a call, but a change in pace did do them good. Both learned to appreciate each others positions.

Maybe this program could be re-instituted again, and expand our professional growth.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Actually I've been trying to advocate that around here for basics as well as medics. Nobody is listening much...

I never knew such a program actually existed in the past. I think it's a really good idea.

That sounds like a good program concept. I feel, however, if done today, probably would be by a private arrangement between the 2 different agencies involved. I can tell you, at least, after September 11, the FDNY refuses ALL ride-along requests.

By the way, don't be making fun of my friends in the Flatlands VAC (Flatbush area, Brooklyn, NYC, NY)!

Rich, that's kind of up in the air right now. Someone said they got an observer request through, and I know that at least we have ride alongs by medic students from out of state and also, check this out, part of ER physician intership includes 3 weeks riding on the ALS and BLS ambulances! Oh my god... we might have doctors out there who have a clue what we're doing! Hee hee...

The other day we had a physician ride along and did an emergency rendevouz with a Medevac at the 34 street heliport going up to Columbia-Presbyterian at 165th street. The flight crew came with us, so we ended up having a bus staffed by 3 paramedics, one ER physician and one flight nurse. Now THAT is a super EMS assault team right there.

• 3 weeks later...

Should more money be spent with on Rural EMS? I meet with leaders in EMS last week at a Rural EMS conference. Many states and nations are dealing with rural health issues....and the solutions seems to be a community paramedic.

Being from the country ahs some advanatages but not all the time. Long ride times to the er or major trauma centers, but it can be done thru flight services. I like what we can learn from the city medics, but working out here, gives a better perspective on things. We really do try and conform to the professionals, no matter if their in the city or out here in the country.

Peace

TheCountryMedic

:lol:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.