Canadian Strike FAIL

Dustdevil

Here is the breakdown of how the current pay structure works. There are 2 different part-time shift patterns. On a Foxtrot shift part-timers are paid $10.80/hour until a call comes in. After a call comes in that part-time crew bumps up to full pay for a minimum of 3 hours (longer if a call continues past 3 hours or if another call comes in prior to 3 hours coming up and the call continues past the 3 hour mark). Part time straff on a Foxtrot pattern are expected to be in the car and enroute within 90 seconds meaning they have to be at the station in uniform for the duration of the shift. As an IV endorsed PCP with less than 5 years of service my full rate when on a call is $20.57. On a Kilo shift part-timers are paid $2/hour to carry a pager and respond to the station then to the call. When paged part-timers on Kilo are paid a minimum 4 hour call-out at their full rate. If a call or series of calls carries past the 4 hour mark the staff are paid their full rate until they are clear at quarters. If a crew has cleared at quarters and they are paged again it is another minimum 4 hour call out regardless of whether or not it's been 4 hours since the previous call out. This is in accordance with the BC Labour Standards Act. There is in fact no limit on Kilo response time. The vast majority of us maintain as quick a response time as possible out of a sense of civic responsibility. In addition part-time staff are paid 17% in leau of benefits and holiday pay with only hours spent at their full rate being eligable for this in leau of pay. Part time staff with greater than 6 years service and a minimum number of call-out hours are paid 6% in leau of holiday pay and receive benefits. Part timers can at times fill in for full time staff on full time shifts. In that instance part time staff are paid their full paramedic rate for the duration of the shift.

The big problem that arises with the Foxtrot pattern is this. BC Ambulance is able to staff a car with qualified people for approximately half the cost of a full time crew despite having equally qualified staff and equal to full time response times. It's like giving BCAS a full time car for half price and it need's to stop. On another important note only hours paid at full paramedic rate are eligable for Employment Insurance should one of us become ill or injured. The most upsetting thing is when BCAS runs a split part-time/full-time crew. Today for example I am making $10.80/hour between calls while my full-time equally qualified partner is making his full paramedic rate for the duration of the shift. At this point my biggest mantra is full-time pay for a full-time response.

Reevaluation of the ACP level for ALL communities (no offence there happi) and BC needs to understand that Paramedicine is not a part time job (no matter what level) put the medics in the hospitals to keep skills up and duty hours and provide better services to the community.

This is absolutely one of the best solutions to many of the problems. I would actually recomend going a step or two further and utilizing CCP's eventually followed by a Paramedic Practitioner level. As I understand it the Physician Assistant pilot class at McMaster University in Ontario is entirely made up of ACP's, CCP's, and RN's. This will be the best solution to rural emergency health care woes and is my current goal for my own rural community.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Snip>

Ok my Head is about ready to implode !

This is absolutely one of the best solutions to many of the problems. I would actually recomend going a step or two further and utilizing CCP's eventually followed by a Paramedic Practitioner level. As I understand it the Physician Assistant pilot class at McMaster University in Ontario is entirely made up of ACP's, CCP's, and RN's. This will be the best solution to rural emergency health care woes and is my current goal for my own rural community

Unfortunately Legislation will have to be established for this "additional level of provider on a provincial basis" and that could take a while, my bet is RNs will stand in the wake of this new level called PA (in Canada that is). IMHO the biggest bang for the buck and quickest is for the Paramedic Practitioner level to be accepted, as the vast majority of PA in the US don't venture on to the road. (correct me if I am wrong)

That said the Respiratory Therapist Practitioner level and national reciprocity I may add did not need the AIT agreement, is well under way with CARTA under the Health Professions Act in AB as opposed to my friends at ACoP who have yet to recognize the CCP level ... another long boring story in itself, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz can lead a horse to water but can't (fill in the blank)

Back on topic:

Same Scene, Same Pay

Full-time pay for a Full-time response.

NICE I RIKE it! thats Vancouver speak btw.

The KISS method best applied with the public's eye and one can put it on signs really easy.

Edited by tniuqs

Ok my Head is about ready to implode !

My head started to spin just typing it out. You should see what my payroll looks like. It's 5-6 pages long and you damn near need an accounting degree to follow it.

Unfortunately Legislation will have to be established for this "additional level of provider on a provincial basis" and that could take a while, my bet is RNs will stand in the wake of this new level called PA (in Canada that is). IMHO the biggest bang for the buck and quickest is for the Paramedic Practitioner level to be accepted, as the vast majority of PA in the US don't venture on to the road. (correct me if I am wrong)

That said the Respiratory Therapist Practitioner level and national reciprocity I may add did not need the AIT agreement, is well under way with CARTA under the Health Professions Act in AB as opposed to my friends at ACoP who have yet to recognize the CCP level ... another long boring story in itself, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz can lead a horse to water but can't (fill in the blank)

I think this is best left to another thread but is well worth further discussion. As a quick note I do think PA's will in part come from a paramedic background in Canada. Current PA's in Canada all come out of the armed forces. The vast majority of PA's in the armed forces where in fact paramedics first.

Back on topic:

Same Scene, Same Pay

Full-time pay for a Full-time response.

NICE I RIKE it! thats Vancouver speak btw.

The KISS method best applied with the public's eye and one can put it on signs really easy.

Precisely. Now for the media blitz. As for the Essential Service Order our fight is going to be in court. I don't personally know anyone who will fail to support us in fighting something that violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

SQUINT if you anything about me you know money doesnt matter to me as a paramedic as Iv said before I do it for my community and for a job.

Yup ...

But could you please repair your Avatar ... It doesn't seam to work?

And thats what matters to me !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::oB)

So please educate my completly ignorant American mind: The Canadian government has a monopoly on medical field companies? No other EMS company can come in and set up shop? If I am understanding this right, I think I would rather have the freedom to choose over universal health care system. I FAIL (sorry for the pun) to see how the "man" can keep a second or third service from opening up, and it be legal.

So please educate my completly ignorant American mind: The Canadian government has a monopoly on medical field companies? No other EMS company can come in and set up shop? If I am understanding this right, I think I would rather have the freedom to choose over universal health care system. I FAIL (sorry for the pun) to see how the "man" can keep a second or third service from opening up, and it be legal.

Within the province of BC only the British Columbia Ambulance service has a mandate to provide on the road or flight emergency medical services to the public (Alberta's STARS does step in and assist at times when air support is needed and BCAS can not provide it). This authority is granted to the Emergency and Health Services Commission via provincial legislation (BCAS is a subsidiary of the Emergency and Health Services Commission). Private contractors can provide onsite care for industry however they must transfer care to BCAS crews as soon as possible for transport to hospital. Non emergent inter-facility transfers can be provided by private contractors but this has only really started to emerge in recent years. BCAS is non-profit and is referred to as a "Crown Corporation", meaning it is owned and run by the provincial government. There are good things and bad things that come from this. The fee for an ambulance is a mere $85 for BC residents for example. This is regardless of whether a patient is granny who just needed help getting up or a major trauma victim who is picked up by a Critical Care Paramedic staffed helicopter.

Back on the strike track. Here is a link to a recent web commercial put out by CUPE 873.

CUPE 873 Critical Condition Video

Edited by rock_shoes

(Alberta's STARS does step in and assist at times when air support is needed and BCAS can not provide it).

Don't get me going on that topic !

As does Alberta Health Fixed Wing operations that have assisted in Northern BC for many, many years.

Back on topic:

The Canadian Health Care Act directs the provinces to follow 4 guidelines, after that it becomes the Provinces discretion to administer and deliver Heath care (oh and fund too)

In Alberta we have 3 different forms of Ambulance care delivery and just recently, AHC took over and declared Ambulance operations as essential services in AB, prior to that the Municipalities funded Ambulance with three different concepts.

1-Private Service contracted.

2-Fire/ Integrated Services.

3- Hospital Based services.

Although without secondary health care insurance one will pay BIG time ... unless it is an interhospital Transfer or Air Ambulance.

This is why Alberta is watching so closely as to the developments west of us.

cheers hope that helps .. I am sure that Ontario / Nova Scotia +++ EMT city members will step up to the plate regarding their flea bitten province (s) ... te he.

Forwarded from PNN:

In an effort to draw attention to their ongoing labour strike, British Columbia paramedics staged a noisy demonstration outside the swearing in ceremony for returning premier Gordon Campbell Monday. According to a press release issued by the Canadian Union of Public Employees (June 8) some 200 practitioners picketed outside the Victoria locale. Ambulance Paramedics of BC president John Strohmaier said providers are currently strategizing on how to bring the strike to an end. Along with scheduled talks with the government on Thursday and Friday, medics are also seeking the appointment of an independent mediator. In the meantime, however, CUPE 873’s executive is planning to tour the province to discuss settlement issues with members.

Ah the plot is getting ... ahem Mr. Campbell want to throw another loonie into the crowd NOW?

ps G. Campbell during his campaigning threw a loonie to an BC medic ... the Medic said hey thanks thats a half an hours pay ...

I guess payback is a bitch eh Gordon?

cheers

Don't get me going on that topic !

As does Alberta Health Fixed Wing operations that have assisted in Northern BC for many, many years.

And MedicAir from Medicine Hat, Alberta as well..... they go to Cranbrook regularly... but I digress....

I hadn't heard the loonie story.... OMG.... G Campbell is a candidate for the 14g in the hand award if he ever ends up in the back of an ambulance....

And MedicAir from Medicine Hat, Alberta as well..... they go to Cranbrook regularly... but I digress....

No offence taken. I'm well aware of BCAS' flight program shortcomings. Anyone who lives in the north or on the Alta. border is far more likely to receive care at the hands of an Alta. provider than a BCAS provider. Alberta flight programs have been picking up the slack for far too long.

I hadn't heard the loonie story.... OMG.... G Campbell is a candidate for the 14g in the hand award if he ever ends up in the back of an ambulance....

This occured in Vernon during the provincial election campaign. Nothing like a blatant display of arrogance eh? I was thinking the top of the foot myself. Not that I would alter the standard of care I provide for any reason. B)