Mobile phone chip that diagnoses disease at your bedside

A mobile phone chip which can diagnose medical conditions on the spot will be available in five years, it was predicted today.

Experts are on the verge of perfecting a tiny microchip that reads swabs or blood tests and slots into a mobile phone, so it can be sent to your doctor.

View the Article

Pretty neat.

I read something awhile ago, about contact lenses (corrective or not) that when scanned using a IR device or something, it would give a BGL reading. They were also working on the same device about able to read basic vital signs. I will try to track down the article.

Pretty neat.

I read something awhile ago, about contact lenses (corrective or not) that when scanned using a IR device or something, it would give a BGL reading.

Give a whole new meaning to "Look into my eyes" :)

A mobile phone chip which can diagnose medical conditions on the spot will be available in five years, it was predicted today.

Experts are on the verge of perfecting a tiny microchip that reads swabs or blood tests and slots into a mobile phone, so it can be sent to your doctor.

The hospital labs can't even get results back to ER fast enough...so I assume it's a new technology altogether (or just very expensive) or not accurate enough. Otherwise, you'd think hospitals would just use that technology. And if it's new, I doubt it'll be field ready in 5 years.

But really cool tool for future. Blood work is what holds a lot of patients up in ER. If we have this during transport, I'd speed things along for everyone.

But really cool tool for future. Blood work is what holds a lot of patients up in ER. If we have this during transport, I'd speed things along for everyone.

That just means people will have to go back to training and complain about it :( I for one, think it is awesome and all for new toys to play with.

We already have this available to us though. Have you checked the TnT Diagnostics website?

What are its limitations?

You'd think they'd be using that more in ERs where they need lab tests quick.

The ones I'm using give qualitative results rather than quantitative. It looks similar to a home pregnancy test. Two lines means elevated cTnI, one line means not. The cutoff values range from 1.0 to 1.5 mcg/ml. Even works on capillary blood samples. We've used about 100 over the past couple of years and they have never been wrong yet. The docs love knowing if trops are elevated now even before the patient is in the ED.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.