Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Paramedic Confrontation

okmedic

Also there is another little thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet called HIPPA - the trooper should not have put his head in the back of the Ambulance and spoke with the pt - He was not on the initial call with the pt and had no need for pt contact.

HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - review what it actually means instead of just using it as an excuse for everything.

The Paramedic left the back of the truck leaving his patient open for anyone and anything. He could have just stuck his head out and gave a quick explanation of having a patient.

another little thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet called HIPPA - the trooper should not have put his head in the back of the Ambulance and spoke with the pt

Well, seeing as how he didn't reach in, grab the patient report, read it over, etc.. I don't see how HIPAA has anything to do with this. Looking at a patient and speaking to a patient, is not a HIPAA Violation. Otherwise, we'd be covering our patients with a black cloak when moving to and from the ambulance.

Well, seeing as how he didn't reach in, grab the patient report, read it over, etc.. I don't see how HIPAA has anything to do with this. Looking at a patient and speaking to a patient, is not a HIPAA Violation. Otherwise, we'd be covering our patients with a black cloak when moving to and from the ambulance.

Hey don't give the government any ideas. :shiftyninja:

Having been on both sides of the altercation, both as a Deputy and as an EMT, I believe this was handled poorly. I believe that the police officer acted improperly at the scene. It is not like the driver of the ambulance was going to disappear and not be able to be located. What would have happened if there was a brother officer in the back.

What if the pt. had coded during the altercation and there was nobody in the rig?

Just my 2 cents worth.

I, like you, have been on both sides. The video from the dash-cam has been released and the Oklahoma State Trooper was out of line. From the dash-cam video the bus did yield to the patrol car, as soon as the driver was able to safely do so. Lights and Sirens are for warning and to request right of way. They are not a license to cause people to make unsafe maneuvers on the highway. From the dash-cam it is also apparent the trooper over reacted to the situation. If he was in such a hurry to get to a call, why did he break off his response (if he did) to stop the ambulance? Why was he running to a call, with lights and siren with his wife in the car? Many department protocols that allow ride-along's also require the rider to be dropped at a safe location prior to proceeding to a "hot call."

The trooper, in this case was out of control and the aggressor. He is acting like a "gun toter" with a bad case of "badgeitis."

Even if the OHP Chief, and the county District Attorney, try to sweep this under the rug, which seems to be their intention, the good troopers in Oklahoma should apply sufficient pressure on the "choke happy, miserable excuse for a law enforcement officer" to make him seek new employment as a honey dipper (a job he may be more suited for). Maybe the rural EMS guys could help by talking to their OHP colleagues and stating reluctance to respond to trooper down calls for fear they will be threatened, intimidated, and harassed.

We're supposed to be out there helping each other, and thankfully, most of us are.

Maybe the rural EMS guys could help by talking to their OHP colleagues and stating reluctance to respond to trooper down calls for fear they will be threatened, intimidated, and harassed.

Seriously: -10 for even suggesting this though. So, instead now you want officers all over the state to wonder if the unthinkable happens to them that they may not get to see their spouse or kids again in this life all because of one man's poor judgement. What about the ones that say, "Fine, don't come for us; we'll see how you like being on your own"? If I was in PD's shoes down there and someone shot their mouth off with this that would be my reaction.

That trooper over-reacted with irrational behavior. He should face some disciplinary measures, in step with his actions and his jacket, set by his Chief and possibly the DA.

Edited by mshow00

Also there is another little thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet called HIPPA - the trooper should not have put his head in the back of the Ambulance and spoke with the pt - He was not on the initial call with the pt and had no need for pt contact.
Uh...like has been said...review the rules of HIPAA and who it applies to...

The officer did not violate HIPPA. He did not know there was a patient. Even after he looked inside. And after the Pt started screaming. It took a second trooper to tell him they had a patient (and what the procedure is).

What gets me is an earlier statement the trooper made: 'Martin, en route to an emergency call, said Franks failed to yield numerous times.' When I watch it I have a hard time counting one. I wonder how much time the trooper claims to be delayed.

It would not surprise me if it turns out that the emergency at the gas-mart was really a 2:00 call for a coffee break. It's been known to happen. That may be why Martin knew he wasn't needed.

He did not know there was a patient.

That arguement won't hold up, both videos clearly show numerous people telling him that; and when he looked inside..he was talking to the patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.