Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Paramedic Confrontation

okmedic

I believe we will see a new OHP by this fall. Apperantly, this is not the only problems that has occured. Currently there is another investigation regarding the air divison as well for usage of aircraft not associated with duties and exchange of parts and monies. I know it has sparked the interest of lawmakers.

I have to say I am proud of Maurice White (the CCP) demeanor and composer during this event, he definitely has represented EMS very well as a professional.

R/r 911

I believe we will see a new OHP by this fall. Apperantly, this is not the only problems that has occured. Currently there is another investigation regarding the air divison as well for usage of aircraft not associated with duties and exchange of parts and monies. I know it has sparked the interest of lawmakers.

I have to say I am proud of Maurice White (the CCP) demeanor and composer during this event, he definitely has represented EMS very well as a professional.

R/r 911

Didn't OHP land their helicopter at a fast food place to get lunch, or was that in Texas? I can't remember.

I don't see where the ambulance did anything wrong... The officer was right on his ass, and yanno, if you can't see the mirrors, we can't see you. Not only a non-passing zone (indication that it isn't safe to pass), but on a hill with a potentially blind approach in the opposite direction. The cop passing could have caused a crash which endangered everyone's lives. Ambo driver is responsible for every life on board, and those in the immediate vicinity. So, I think he did well. -10 for gathering in a lane of traffic. Fire the SOB, police work is not a substitution for anger management.

IMO.. It sounds edited.

Edited by 4c6

Quite Clear NOW ... a BS stop to start with, very poor scene control the LEO is lucky the family members did not restrain the officer or worse, the escalation of a nothing event was entirely due to the officers temper.

Got to love how the officer puts the Medic under arrest and then informs the patient that she will get to hospital soon .. ah diplomacy at its finest or was that hypocrisy ?

This officer should be charged bottom line make an example of him to train other LEOs that believe they are above the law themselves.

I count ? infraction(s)

1- Obstruction of a public safety officer in his duty.

1- Unwarranted excessive speed, this officer is a hazard himself.

2- Failing to yield for a stop sign, no justification not an emergent stop to start with.

3- Blatant stoopidity !

(I don't think thats a charge but this LEO is guilty of making a mountain out of a molehill)

4- Sub therapeutic meds in the LEOs bloodstream.

5- Using a return from Iraq as an excuse ... bad, bad move.

The Paramedic White was nothing less than a professional .... BRAVO!

I would like to add that the Trooper had his wife with him at the time. One of the reasons Paramedic White, initially jumped out of the unit. It is not unusual in these rural areas for LEO and Troopers to have an injured/ill person and stop or summon an EMS unit.

The Trooper has scheduled himself for a press conference Monday and a decision has not yet been made by Troop Commander. This has reached all branches of the government level including past the Governor to Senator level. Unfortunately, OHP just asked for a pay to prevent furloughs to occur. I am sure there is some heated discussions behind closed doors.

The only good thing I see coming from the horrible event is we (EMS) have been lobbying and promoting EMS bills heavy for the past year, with minimal outcomes. This has at least put us in the "light" and recognition of legislatures. Maybe, they will pay attention to us now. Ironically, one of the newest bills (has not taken affect yet) is a Felony rating of touching, interfering or obstructing EMS personnel. ....

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

13:55:55 Around a curve. Amb. and car visible up ahead.

13:55:59 Possibly in mirror sight. About to crest hill. No pass zone.

13:56:02 Approaching rear of Amb. Car in front appears to be yielding.

13:56:03 Amb. passes yielding car.

13:56:05 Pass complete.

13:56:08 Trooper now visible to left-side mirror.

13:56:09 End of no pass zone.

13:56:10 Amb. begins to yield to trooper

13:56:13 Pass complete

14:?? Driver of Amb. issued written warning for "failure to yield"

The problem is I know some troopers from my own state with this same mentality.

Lots of issues and questions are put to light in this "case"

The biggest one is that the trooper has a case of "I have a gun and a badge you better do what I say"...The Ambulance lets the trooper pass and it took the trooper less than 0:00:30 to do it, thanks for the time stamps VinMann:

13:55:55 Around a curve. Amb. and car visible up ahead.

13:55:59 Possibly in mirror sight. About to crest hill. No pass zone.

13:56:02 Approaching rear of Amb. Car in front appears to be yielding.

13:56:03 Amb. passes yielding car.

13:56:05 Pass complete.

13:56:08 Trooper now visible to left-side mirror.

13:56:09 End of no pass zone.

13:56:10 Amb. begins to yield to trooper

13:56:13 Pass complete

14:?? Driver of Amb. issued written warning for "failure to yield"

The problem is I know some troopers from my own state with this same mentality.

Next is another point that was just mentioned in the previous post

Common everyone you forget EVOC 101: L&S means all rules are null and void to you. :rolleyes:

Do LEO's not understand that point. We in EMS deal with it everyday...Driving L/S is a responsibility not a right. Due regard and all that. How fast was the trooper going en route to assist the Sheriff - and when he got to the scene that scene is looking under control by the officer that is there.

As for the racial issues the EMT driving and the trooper are both Caucasian - was the trooper even able to see what race the paramedic was??

The issue of Abandonment - leaving the truck NO - getting arrested YES.

Also there is another little thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet called HIPPA - the trooper should not have put his head in the back of the Ambulance and spoke with the pt - He was not on the initial call with the pt and had no need for pt contact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.