Newbie EMT here!

Thanks so much for the replies guys! You are definitely helping me narrow down my approach. I would like to know more about flight medic and such, but you've been loads of help! Also I'd still like to hear from anyone working in the Chicago area! lol

Thanks again!

And also, another question, do big cities have ambulance services besides private or fire? Specifically Hospital, that's what I'm used to so far and I really like it but I can't find much info on the matter for Chicago.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flight medic... you'll most likely have to be an EMT-P with a lot a lot of field 911 and IFT experience... I think it's usually about 5 years minimum before a flight program will look at you... also just as an FYI... they require height/weight proportionate... so if that is something that could be a problem...start working out now....

As far as learning more... I know firehouse.com and emsresponder.com have forums listed by state... and thewatchdesk.com has them by state and county if might be good to check those out. But nothing will really beat meeting people and talking with them directly. State EMS websites can also be a useful resource for locating different companies as they usually have to be registered with the state in order to provide EMS care.

Flight medic... you'll most likely have to be an EMT-P with a lot a lot of field 911 and IFT experience... I think it's usually about 5 years minimum before a flight program will look at you... also just as an FYI... they require height/weight proportionate... so if that is something that could be a problem...start working out now....

As far as learning more... I know firehouse.com and emsresponder.com have forums listed by state... and thewatchdesk.com has them by state and county if might be good to check those out. But nothing will really beat meeting people and talking with them directly. State EMS websites can also be a useful resource for locating different companies as they usually have to be registered with the state in order to provide EMS care.

Thank you so much! ^_^

How do I go about finding a service to work for with a lot of 911 calls (and what's IFT?) What I don't want to do is work for a nursing home just driving folk back and forth, I want to actually help in emergency situations (like most people I suppose). I would guess working directly for a hospital would be best, but am I wrong?

-What are the best agencies to work for in that area (especially in terms of salary, flexibility, types of calls, ect..)?

Privates do not pay as well as fire based EMS around here without putting in some serious OT.

-Are there any Hospital-based agencies in the area? Or what are the non-private services (especially that hire EMT-Bs)? (I had my clinicals with Poudre Valley Hospital which had it's own ambulance service that co-oped with the local Fire Dept and I really liked the way that system worked.)

No hospital based EMS in immediate Chicago area.

I'm considering even skipping the job search and just volunteering with Americorps for a year.. Would that be a good idea in your opinion? The pay is a stipend of about 800-1100 a month and I would probably work in an emergency preparedness program (for terrorism and disaster events) Would it be beneficial (directly) at all for my EMS career?

Career wise probably wouldn't help, but if that's your interest, I'm sure they would love to have someone with a medical background.

-I'm not yet EKG or IV certified, can I and where are places I can certify at?

No EMTI's in this area. If you want to work as a tech in an ER, many will train you to do 12 leads and IV's even as an EMTB.

-How does it work becoming ACLS and/or ATLS certified? Is it a class or course like IV? Where can I find one?

There are both hospital based and private courses available. Google it.

-One thing I really want to do is become a flight medic. What is the best path to accomplish this?

Tough to get into and generally need extra classes. They also like several years experience. Look up Air Angels, Flight for Life- see what they say.

-Long-ways down the road I'm considering the possibility of becoming a nurse or even going on to medical school, again what's the best route to get there?

If medical school is your ultimate goal I would suggest getting your ducks in a row now. Take your premed classes, study your arse off and get your undergrad.

-Any advice for a fresh green eager-beaver EMT-B?

-Oh yeah, For those that are EMT-B or P with a fire service, how does it work, what is the structure? DO you ride in the truck or on a bus? Are you a Fire Fighter or 'just' an EMT or Medic?

Depends on the service. Some burbs want EMTB before they consider you, and pay for your EMTP. Others want EMTP before you walk in the door. Most suburban departments are cross trained FF/EMTP, Chicago has single role EMTP's- separate hiring process- and cross trained EMTP's. When hired as a FF you are trainined as EMTB and do some of your time on BLS rigs. Crosstrained EMTP's work on ALS fire apparatus.

Hope this helps.

Welcome, and good luck in the business. Also- listen to the previous advice. Lots of info available here, but hopefully you don't have thin skin- some folks get pretty testy here.

Thank you so much! ^_^

How do I go about finding a service to work for with a lot of 911 calls (and what's IFT?) What I don't want to do is work for a nursing home just driving folk back and forth, I want to actually help in emergency situations (like most people I suppose). I would guess working directly for a hospital would be best, but am I wrong?

IFT is inter-facility transport.... moving patients from one health care facility to another... use those resources I gave you before and ask questions, go and talk to people, state ems websites... I'm not going to do the work for you.... but I will point you in the hopefully right direction...

IFT is inter-facility transport.... moving patients from one health care facility to another... use those resources I gave you before and ask questions, go and talk to people, state ems websites... I'm not going to do the work for you.... but I will point you in the hopefully right direction...

Scoob stop being so lazy and do his research for him ... gosh

Thank you so much! ^_^

Working in a hospital setting as an ER tech is good for seeing a wide variety of patients, but what you are allowed to do skills-wise varies greatly, depending on where you work. You also work directly under nurses and doctors- not the autonomy most of us like being on the streets.

There are a couple private providers in the area that do 911 calls for a few smaller suburbs in the area, but most 911 responses are handled by Fire based EMS. As for working on IFT's, don't knock it. You learn the basics, how to handle patients, talk to people, learn the system. Many people around here who move on to 911 services started on the privates and they are better providers for it. Besides, most paramedic programs want some experience at the EMTB level before they admit you- and for good reason, IMO. Most privates work via contracts- with nursing homes, MRI facilities, staff special events and festivals, and you do get an occasional "house call".

You are just starting, you need to walk before you run.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! You are definitely helping me narrow down my approach. I would like to know more about flight medic and such, but you've been loads of help! Also I'd still like to hear from anyone working in the Chicago area! lol

Thanks again!

And also, another question, do big cities have ambulance services besides private or fire? Specifically Hospital, that's what I'm used to so far and I really like it but I can't find much info on the matter for Chicago.

First off, let me say that I am not a flight medic. What I am going to say though hopefully will make you think about your path to working on a helicopter. (If I am giving out bad advise, someone, please correct me !)

You may want to consider going to nursing school. You already took a 10-hour credit course for EMT-B. I hope this means that you are thinking in terms of getting a good education. If your goal is to be working in a helicopter, then I believe nursing school would be the better way to go. As a nurse working on a helicopter, you will usually have more responsibilities, perform more skills, and get paid more. Also, after being a nurse, getting an EMT-P cert will be a piece of cake. The nursing school and hospital environment will offer you a great education and experience base. I think the same would apply to a Respiratory Therapist, as some HEMS services utilize a combination of RT and RN.

Just something to think about...

G'day

Matt

First off, let me say that I am not a flight medic. What I am going to say though hopefully will make you think about your path to working on a helicopter. (If I am giving out bad advise, someone, please correct me !)

You may want to consider going to nursing school. You already took a 10-hour credit course for EMT-B. I hope this means that you are thinking in terms of getting a good education. If your goal is to be working in a helicopter, then I believe nursing school would be the better way to go. As a nurse working on a helicopter, you will usually have more responsibilities, perform more skills, and get paid more. Also, after being a nurse, getting an EMT-P cert will be a piece of cake. The nursing school and hospital environment will offer you a great education and experience base. I think the same would apply to a Respiratory Therapist, as some HEMS services utilize a combination of RT and RN.

Just something to think about...

G'day

Matt

Good points. Being a nurse is also an entirely different mentality than being a prehospital provider, but an RN definitely opens more doors and provides more career opportunities.

Gee, haha, there are so many options! So much to think about. It feels like this whole new world of opportunities has opened up to me. (I've been working in retail middle management for 4 years..) Thanks for all the help, I have a lot to consider.

Gee, haha, there are so many options! So much to think about. It feels like this whole new world of opportunities has opened up to me. (I've been working in retail middle management for 4 years..) Thanks for all the help, I have a lot to consider.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.