IV Infiltrates, Iodine Pushed

AnthonyM83

Now for your question about the iodine being a problem with infiltration. My guess would be that it could cause some damage since it is a cleaning solution and has chemicals to kill bacteria. Warnings on the box say no for internal use. Most likely, depending on how much was there and not properly taken care of, could have some necrotic effects, and inflammation but don't quote me on that. It is a very interesting question and I would like to see a better answer than my own. I will look it up myself to see what I can find and report back if no one else does.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't post.

Iodinated contrast material that extravasates typically causes nothing more than some local swelling. Serious complications such as skin necrosis are extremely rare, and usually result from the volume of contrast injected into a closed space. When it happens, protocol dictates that the radiologist and the ordering physician are notified and a heat pack applied. I have never applied nor needed to apply any other treatment.

For reference:

Frequency, management, and outcome of extravasation of nonionic iodinated contrast medium in 69,657 intravenous injections.

Frequency and effects of extravasation of ionic and nonionic CT contrast media during rapid bolus injection.

Local reactions after injection of iodinated contrast material: detection, management, and outcome.

'zilla

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She says they took her to CT, the pushed contrast, and now has huuuge infiltration.

Question:

Who pushed the IV contrast dye in a non-patent line ?

Thats yer problem, hell, even junkies know that !

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't post.

Iodinated contrast material that extravasates typically causes nothing more than some local swelling. Serious complications such as skin necrosis are extremely rare, and usually result from the volume of contrast injected into a closed space. When it happens, protocol dictates that the radiologist and the ordering physician are notified and a heat pack applied. I have never applied nor needed to apply any other treatment.

For reference:

Frequency, management, and outcome of extravasation of nonionic iodinated contrast medium in 69,657 intravenous injections.

Frequency and effects of extravasation of ionic and nonionic CT contrast media during rapid bolus injection.

Local reactions after injection of iodinated contrast material: detection, management, and outcome.

'zilla

If you would have read what I posted, you would see that I mistook the iodine and the contrast. I was informed and I fixed what I had said in a later post. You also, confirmed what I has said. I said IT COULD. The information about an amount also wasn't said. The only mention was there was "a huge bubble and huge infiltration". My info later came direct from the article I posted. I read the same in other resources but didn't cite them. No need to spam 20 sites all saying the same thing.

I will continue to post on what topic I feel like, and give my opinion as I see fit and wish. If you don't approve of it, too bad. Deal with it, get over yourself.

Further more, even if I were wrong, which I was not, that is the point of having a discussion forum is it not? Not everyone can be all knowing and great as you are and know everything. If you have nothing nice to say, you shouldn't post either. Cheers!

Edited by FireMedic65

I read the same in other resources but didn't cite them. No need to spam 20 sites all saying the same thing.

So you never read more than one resource on any topic? :huh:

That must be the case if you feel that posting 4 supporting references is out of your league.

Have you ever read a journal article and then looked at the last page? It's called a Bibliography.

This Bibliography usually contains many more than 4 references that the author has used in the article to research and support his or her position.

This is actually considered normal and not "spam" by most folks with higher education. It is in fact, a required element of proper journal writing.

If you want to go read those sites, go ahead. I am not writing a paper here.

Fair enough, but don't give other people a hard time for trying to actually INCREASE the knowledge of others and themselves. Myself and many others look forward to the opportunity to learn from the research efforts of others.

I am posting what I know.

Maybe if you tried to increase what you "know", you would have more productive things to add.

Not to mention you might actually start understanding what people are talking about and not require correction. :rolleyes:

Edited by Canadian Caesar

Fair enough, but don't give other people a hard time for trying to actually INCREASE the knowledge of others and themselves. Myself and many others look forward to the opportunity to learn from the research efforts of others.

Maybe if you tried to increase what you "know", you would have more productive things to add.

Not to mention you might actually start understanding what people are talking about and not require correction. :rolleyes:

I was informed of my mistake, and corrected myself in my next post. After all, this is a message/discussion forum. The whole point here is to discuss things, not link websites. If that were the case, rename it to emtgoogle.com

Edited by FireMedic65

Guys, he posted valid information for what he thought I was asking. He misunderstood, admitted it, and that was that.

Doczilla must have missed that post, so I'd probably take that into account when replying back to him.

Self-resolve it based on realizing the TWO misunderstandings from each side.

In terms of responsibility, if I have a student with me as an RN, I am responsible. The student has a couple goes at things, and then I take over and if I see something the student is doing that may risk the patient, I am to step in.

The tech however, should not have injected the iodine into the IV if it wasnt patent, should have checked with a decent flush and if it infiltrated then, then it was not suitable. The line was inserted by an RN, but the person injecting the fluid in etc, needs to make sure it is patent, anything can happen in transfer/transport, clean, check, flush and use.

On the side issue in this thread, I have to go with Doc in this, the OP talked about contrast, and I would have thought someone professing higher level knowledge and education would know contrast dye is often Iodine unless an allergy exists.....

And let he who has never cited google or relied on it cast the first stone.

Scotty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.