How old is too old in EMS

look where I come from every year I must pass a wellnes progam which consist of blood work, x-rays strength test, the works,

Who is to say the individual you directed your crude comments towards wasn't subject to that either? You can't, so dont even try.

I am just saying you can't have some one die on the job and wonder why if there should be any concern on when to not let someone work in this field any longer.,

Hmmm, perhaps we should conduct a retroactive study comparing the number of EMS providers over the age of 50 who died of natural causes on the job to those under the age of 30 who kill themselves, their partner, their patient, or others because of improper vehicle operations due to a lack of experience. I can hypothesize which category more deaths occur in, but I don't think people under the age of 30 should be prohibited from EMS.

yeah I know the CPAT is not an age, thing but more or less a weight thing, the better in shape you are then better passing score you get and that copuld be the differnce of getting hire with a nice retirement or not.

And absolutely nothing you have said here actually supports your moronic comment in the other thread, indeed, it appears to me that you are attempting to spin the situation to mean something else entirely.

When you actually have a justifiable argument that you can support without spouting nonsense it'll be my pleasure to debate this with you, but you have nothing that can back up your claim that people over 50 should not be in EMS. It is simply the foolish ramblings of a foolish wannabe.

Don't be hater "hommie", look where I come from every year I must pass a wellnes progam which consist of blood work, x-rays strength test, the works, I am just saying you can't have some one die on the job and wonder why if there should be any concern on when to not let someone work in this field any longer., yeah I know the CPAT is not an age, thing but more or less a weight thing, the better in shape you are then better passing score you get and that copuld be the differnce of getting hire with a nice retirement or not.

It certainly is a good thing that literacy, spelling or logic does not come into question otherwise "benzo man" would pull be asking "did you want fries with that burger sir'?

cheers and good grief.

Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean that you should. Clearly, where you work- meaning call volume-has alot to do with how long you should stay in the business. After 25-30 years or more in this business, I think someone's experience should be utilized- teaching, training, management- whatever they can be qualified for. Aches, pains, poor eating habits, lack of sleep, chronic injuries, endless cycles of adrenaline surges and dumps, mental wear and tear, relationship strains, emotional issues- it's a tough business.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but I've worked with some old timers(I'm getting too close to that description myself these days) who were around from the onset of EMS- and to a (wo)man, they are pretty beat up. It reminds me of the old school firefighters who started with no SCBA's and after they retired were barely able to collect a pension check or 2 before they died. I swore to myself I would never work that long in the field- which is why I went back to school and got my Masters as a back up.

we do about 6-10 a night we work thru fri and sat 12 hour overnights in hartford a inner city environment, thanks for your attempt at humor though

asinine as it was.

asinine as it was.

Not to forget to mention politically incorrect, disrespectful and to assume that chronological age and capabilities either physical or mental is very misinformed, similar to saying women should not be in EMS because they can't lift.

For example my Grandfather a survivor of a POW in WW1 and at 86 y/o could do more push ups and outwork men a third his age, and sharp as a whip mentally, he was a tough "product of his environment".

Quote C. Jung.

Oddly this younger generation have far more health concerns and today with the general population in their 20s are obese or morbidly obese (an North American Plague!) many with less education than their fathers or grandfathers, dependent on calculator(s) to do even basic math, but do excel at computer games instead of a real sport's ... well ... I hope I have made my point clear.

Bottom line it comes down to an individuals personal "choice" and not an arbitrary number ? That said many do need to retire early, before the age 65 or the age plus years "on the job" in some instances puts them in an early grave, just trying to provide for their families.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.