Collar Brass

I like the embroidery idea. It's definitely the way to go for any public safety field uniform, and more and more agencies are going that way these days. Really no need for any kind of pins, tags, or badges. And even with embroidery, less is more. The only people who even notice that crap anyhow are other providers. Patients and the public pay them no attention. And, as the OP fears, it is no fun having them pushed into your skin.

The only employer I've had in the last thirty years that actually required collar brass finally got tired of writing me up for not wearing it and just said forget it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just mentioning that the FDNY EMS collar tacs used by EMTs and Paramedics is a silver Star of Life with the FDNY lettering superimposed on it. I'll see if I can find either a print or a link to one.

I like the embroidery idea. It's definitely the way to go for any public safety field uniform, and more and more agencies are going that way these days. Really no need for any kind of pins, tags, or badges. And even with embroidery, less is more. The only people who even notice that crap anyhow are other providers. Patients and the public pay them no attention. And, as the OP fears, it is no fun having them pushed into your skin.

The only employer I've had in the last thirty years that actually required collar brass finally got tired of writing me up for not wearing it and just said forget it.

While I agree that that some form of embroidery (epaulettes etc.) is better, I have yet to find myself in a situation where my collar pins have put me in any kind of danger. Have you found yourself in a situation or situations where wearing said uniform issue put you in harms way? I don't know what people working for other agencies are issued but my collar pins are a screw on type that isn't sharp at all.

I have yet to find myself in a situation where my collar pins have put me in any kind of danger.

I have yet to find myself in a situation where my collar pins served any useful purpose. That's the main point here. It's pointless crap that serves no purpose.

Have you found yourself in a situation or situations where wearing said uniform issue put you in harms way?

Yes. We had to wear collar rank in the military til we finally went to epaulettes in the late 70s, and more than a few times I slung something over my shoulder, or leaned in on something that jammed them into my collarbone. Not life threatening, by any means. But since it serves ZERO friggin' purpose, I'd say there is ZERO justification for that risk.

I have yet to find myself in a situation where my collar pins served any useful purpose. That's the main point here. It's pointless crap that serves no purpose.

Yes. We had to wear collar rank in the military til we finally went to epaulettes in the late 70s, and more than a few times I slung something over my shoulder, or leaned in on something that jammed them into my collarbone. Not life threatening, by any means. But since it serves ZERO friggin' purpose, I'd say there is ZERO justification for that risk.

Yes it may appear to serve no purpose to you personally dust, but it may to the OP's station or his area, not all of us are hot headed like yourself and rebel. It was a simple question asking had anyone seen these types of isignia, had anyone come across where to purchase them.

We don't have them here in New Zealand because we are not refered to as EMT's but ambulance officers or paramedics, so the EMT symbol and even the Star of life are not used in mainstream ambulance services here. Try Galls or even jewellery makers. They may help.

Scotty

Yes it may appear to serve no purpose to you personally dust, but it may to the OP's station or his area, not all of us are hot headed like yourself and rebel. It was a simple question asking had anyone seen these types of isignia, had anyone come across where to purchase them.

I wasn't talking to the OP. I was talking to the person who specifically asked me the question. I addressed the OP's question two pages ago. If I could help him, I would. I even went on the Google trying to find something for him. WTF more do you want from me?

In most places that is definitely the case. In my own experience I've found that many people have no idea what the significance of the various pins are. I have however also dealt with a number of patients and hospital staff who do know the difference. I wear them for the people who know what they mean. Physicians and nurses imediately know what level of attendant they're dealing with without having to ask.

Fair enough. Though I have yet to require use of a shoulder carry working civillian EMS I certainly see your point. Ideally things like collar pins would be reserved for dress uniforms only. A stiched identifier can be equally or more effective without any of the afformentioned hazards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.