Collar Brass

Collar brass must be a US thing. Only place I ever see it is on dress uniforms. PD, FD and EMS all do epaulets on duty uniforms. If you considering options for a service, rather than just a safer alternative for yourself, might want to consider them as a cheaper, no pin alternative.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We certainly don’t have anything like this in Australia. Sometimes the high ranking officers wear funny patch things on there collar (like the Nazis) but there embroider in. Apart from medals (on official occasions) I really see no need to wear pins, hell even my name badge is velco … Besides, the more official you look the more questions people will ask… But good luck anyway.

Check to see if your current ones contain iron by using a magnet on them. If they do take a hax saw or something similar and saw off the pins. Go down to a badge shop and buy the high strength magnets to hold them in place ;)

That would work, and would be easier than finding the pin you like that is magnetic. I have some rare earth magnets, they are quite strong and small.

.due to an admittedly irrational phobia I don't wear things with pins...so I am looking for this alternative.

You have a phobia about pins in EMS, so do needles scare you too, good grief what a silly thread.

Hey maybe try a hot glue gun or a neck tat ? .... besides the fact that brass is non magnetic.

Besides the fact Brass is called Brass is because it is dress uniform stuff not a working stiffs gak ... Timmy has got it right (like the Nazis) LOL> Good one !

Besides if its "brushed brass" and we used those back in the day for name tags, they light up like a beacon when you shine a flash light on them, not my first choice unless to want your neck as a target.

cheers and good luck with your phobia .

Say what you will about the Nazis, but their fashion designer was fabulous.

You just like those boots ... come on we know you just like all the leather !

whoo hoo ... this thread is looking up !

Hmmm.

Every VAC, private employer, and municipal ambulance I have been with has either supplied or had me purchase EMT, EMS, and for (NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation) EMS' Communications, the crossed flags like Army signal corps, for placement on the collars.

I kind of like the little embroidered patches idea, but nobody local that I know of makes EMS/EMT lettered style, while I have seen Star of Life mini patches for the collar.

I have NEVER seen magnetic mounted collar tacs, and lost, within hours, a nametag with a magnetic mounting.

Collar brass must be a US thing. Only place I ever see it is on dress uniforms. PD, FD and EMS all do epaulets on duty uniforms. If you considering options for a service, rather than just a safer alternative for yourself, might want to consider them as a cheaper, no pin alternative.

Not exactly. In BC we are all issued collar pins. The pin indicates your level of license and has a copy of the BC Ambulance Service coat of arms (for Primary Care Paramedics only. EMR's are not issued collar insignia). ALS providers have a completely different collar pin again. Wearing them is optional for duty uniforms and mandatory for dress uniforms. I wear them on duty because they indicate my license level and only Safety Officers, Unit Chiefs, Duty Unit Chiefs, and management have epaulettes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.